Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Restaurant in our Area. . .

[ Edited ]

A downtown fixture diner will have free carry-out for kids home from school. Parents call ahead and show up with kids and they'll receive breakfast or lunch sack. Not only does this cafe always give a free cinnamon roll with any meal, but they're doing something very good for their 'neighborhood.' I understand they're also taking good care of their employees during this difficult time. Kudos to our fave cafe. We will absolutely do carry outs, and tip well, here during our isolation time.  

Image result for neighborhood cafe lees summit photo 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

A downtown fixture diner will have free carry-out for kids home from school. Parents call ahead and show up with kids and they'll receive breakfast or lunch sack. Not only does this cafe always give a free cinnamon roll with any meal, but they're doing something very good for their 'neighborhood.' I understand they're also taking good care of their employees during this difficult time. Kudos to our fave cafe. We will absolutely do carry outs, and tip well, here during our isolation time.  

Image result for neighborhood cafe lees summit photo 

@jeanlake - Thank you for sharing this! And thank you for this diner in your hometown. They are making a difference! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@shelbyshelbyshelby wrote:

What a terrible thing to say . What do you think these restaurants are suppossed to do ?

I belive that they are doing the right thing . 

@shelbyshelbyshelby   Did you actually read her post or did somebody else post something ugly???

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

. . . is closing its doors for now completely - no takeout. They are also giving their employees paid time off and they are fixing the leftover food for their employees to take home to their families.

Another one is cooking food and fixing lunches so local school families who depended on breakfast and lunch at school can have healthy meals.

Another chain is paying their employees while they are off work

You can bet when we get the "all clear" to go out and eat again we will be supporting these restaurants! Smiley Happy

i think these are wonderful things to do to help out the community. however, not ALL restaurants and small businesses can afford to do these types of things. it is worrisome that if this health crisis and executive order in our state lasts a long time, some of these places could be permanently out of business.

we are lucky........Maryland State Superintendent of Schools Karen Salmon has applied for a Federal waiver to provide three meals a day plus a snack to those who need it. Statewide, 138 centers already up and operating. Visit MDSummerMeals.org to find all participating locations.

@sunshine45   But these restaurants CAN afford to do this and should be applauded.

Why do we always have to put a negative into anything nice??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

So far, only one restaurant by me has decided to close the dining in portion and are now offering curbside takeout.

Others are offering free lunches to students that are home from school.

However, spring breakers are here along with many tourists and they even had a St. Patrick's event going on. So, basically not much has changed where I am.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

. . . is closing its doors for now completely - no takeout. They are also giving their employees paid time off and they are fixing the leftover food for their employees to take home to their families.

Another one is cooking food and fixing lunches so local school families who depended on breakfast and lunch at school can have healthy meals.

Another chain is paying their employees while they are off work

You can bet when we get the "all clear" to go out and eat again we will be supporting these restaurants! Smiley Happy

i think these are wonderful things to do to help out the community. however, not ALL restaurants and small businesses can afford to do these types of things. it is worrisome that if this health crisis and executive order in our state lasts a long time, some of these places could be permanently out of business.

we are lucky........Maryland State Superintendent of Schools Karen Salmon has applied for a Federal waiver to provide three meals a day plus a snack to those who need it. Statewide, 138 centers already up and operating. Visit MDSummerMeals.org to find all participating locations.

@sunshine45   But these restaurants CAN afford to do this and should be applauded.

Why do we always have to put a negative into anything nice??

@Cakers3 

the first thing i stated was that it was a wonderful thing.

was i  being negative in the rest of the statement i made or just being a realist?

its the truth......not all restaurants can afford to do this sort of thing, even if they wanted to. whether they are doing it or not, i will be supporting my favorite restaurants/bars when they are back up and running. unfortunately, not every restaurant in my area is even doing carry out or delivery service......they are totally shutting down and we have no idea for how long.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Beginning tonight, another downtown restaurant will open at 5pm - 7:30pm only each evening and will serve take out - 1 meal option. Menu will change each day. They ask patrons "take what they need and pay what they can. Tip generously." They put on Facebook @ 6:20pm that they had to close early as they ran out of food. They thanked patrons for paying generously and big tips. I understand there was some paying forward going on for the next person in line. They asked that there be social distancing for those waiting to be served and if someone can afford it, pick up dinner for people who cannot afford it or shouldn't get out. YOU BET WE'LL FREQUENT THIS RESTAURANT ONCE WE GET AN 'ALL CLEAR.'  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Beginning tonight, another downtown restaurant will open at 5pm - 7:30pm only each evening and will serve take out - 1 meal option. Menu will change each day. They ask patrons "take what they need and pay what they can. Tip generously." They put on Facebook @ 6:20pm that they had to close early as they ran out of food. They thanked patrons for paying generously and big tips. I understand there was some paying forward going on for the next person in line. They asked that there be social distancing for those waiting to be served and if someone can afford it, pick up dinner for people who cannot afford it or shouldn't get out. YOU BET WE'LL FREQUENT THIS RESTAURANT ONCE WE GET AN 'ALL CLEAR.'  

@jeanlake - If I lived near you I would be there too! Smiley Happy