Honored Contributor

Re: A Rare Bald Eagle Trio—Two Dads and a Mom

@Marp 

Thanks for sharing.

We watch the ones at Jordan Lake.

@MyShadowLove 

I will help with the roof, even a golf umbrella.  ☔️ 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I know to avoid any cams where the food chain plays out Cat Very Happy

And, I rarely watch long enough to see dinner being served on any of them.

Trusted Contributor

I still check in with them and have noticed recently I couldn’t see a third one but thought it was because they pulled the camera out so far it was just blending in.  I’m dismayed to come here to read what has been going on. How could this little eagle’s family get rid of it like that? And now we will wonder what has become of it. This is just too sad and this is what gets me upset with nature. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Teddie wrote:

I still check in with them and have noticed recently I couldn’t see a third one but thought it was because they pulled the camera out so far it was just blending in.  I’m dismayed to come here to read what has been going on. How could this little eagle’s family get rid of it like that? And now we will wonder what has become of it. This is just too sad and this is what gets me upset with nature. 

@Teddie ...You must have missed @Mz iMac's post with a promising update...The little eaglet is being cared for...Here is the update that was posted.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at Thu, Jun 6, 2019-10.42.27 PM.png

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

I do hope that they give a future update of how the little eaglet is doing? Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

UPDATE as to why E3 was "thrown" from the nest (ephasis added):

On June 6 at 3:22 Thursday afternoon, E2 was making a running approach to land on the limb with E1. In so doing he/she caught E3 off guard and knocked he/she over the edge of the nest Staff and Volunteers were at the nest area within twenty minutes of E3 going over the nest. Volunteers scanned with binoculars while the guys were getting on waders and considering trying to work their way back. Water is 7.5 feet deep at the nest and no way walking was possible. Huge THANK YOU to Bass fishermen Dr. Robert Merkin (a veterinarian) and Don May (Don heard about the two males and a female on the news). Doc took staff right in under the nest tree where they spotted E3. E3 was wet indicating he made it down to the water but had already worked his way up six or eight feet. Like a normal Eagle it had it’s wings hanging out to dry. The eaglet will be fed by the adults – Starr is no stranger to an early albeit in this case unintended fledge. The eaglet has better skills and instincts than many gave him/her credit for. If he/she made six to eight feet up out of the water in such short time, he could indeed make an eventual return to the nest. He/She was able to test out swimming skills. (and yes, eagles do swim).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

Although still sad for E3, I feel somewhat better now. At least it wasn’t like a mutiny and they all decided they’d had enough of the weak one and heaved it out, not that eagles can actually heave. Glad that’s not what happened. I wonder if the remaining eagles wonder what became of their sibling. 

Honored Contributor

Update on the runt - E3

ezgif-2-ec6d68333361.pngezgif-2-cec95dbbc77f.png

The runt is SLOWLY making its way back to the nest.  Parents are still feeding it.  Still not able to eat on its on like his/her siblings.

Not fledging yet so unable to flap itself to a higher branch, poor thing.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Glad to see they found E3 the Runt and the three parents are making special deliveries to him/her.  I hop they continue to do so.

Honored Contributor

I think the 2 remaining eaglets are males.  Both seem so much larger than mom.

ezgif-2-96bd78bd6d97.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif