Honored Contributor

Re: A Rare Bald Eagle Trio—Two Dads and a Mom

I think there is something wrong w/one of the eaglets.  It is not molting like the other 2.  Or I should say, it is "hardly" molting.

It is not "active."  Mostly sleeps.  It rarely eats during "feeding" time.  Sleeps right through it.

I wonder if it is the runt of the 3?  The runts are usually the weakest & thrown out the nest by the stronger 2.

Feeding time, runt sleeping...

Screen_Shot_2019-05-03_at_Fri__May_3__2019-7_17_18_PM.png

Runt wakes up, ignored by mama, trying to feed itself.  It's eating the nest floor. Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at Fri, May 3, 2019-7.26.47 PM.png

Mommy instincts finally kicked in after 20 minutes....

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at Fri, May 3, 2019-7.29.58 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Runt (weak one) got kicked out of the nest this morning.  He/she was not quite fledging yet.  The older 2 have been fledging for about a week now.  Both now "nest-rest" in the tree at night.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at Thu, Jun 6, 2019-7.10.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-06 at Thu, Jun 6, 2019-7.29.29 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac ...Oh No!...Now this is the part of nature that I don't like...So they just knocked the poor eaglet out of the nest and it will die or a predator will get to it? Woman Sad

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove 

If injured, I am hoping a park ranger vet will care for it.

If not injured, I was hoping a park ranger will place the eaglet back into the nest.

I've always suspected the runt was "sick."   While the 2 older ones can now feed themselves, the runt could not.  It was eating the "nest" & any droppings his sisters & brothers left. 

If the runt is/was sicks & placed back in the nest, the parents & the fledgings will knock the runt out of the nest again.  Nature's way....."only the strong survive."

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Mz iMac ...I do so hope that a park ranger vet will rescue it and that it will be cared for so that, at the very least, it doesn't die out in the open, defenseless and helpless.

Do you know if they sometimes do happen to step in and rescue the weak ones?

ETA:...Oh, I just checked and it looks like the weak eaglet is back in the nest now...I see three and the weakest one is very obvious, poor little thing...A park ranger vet must have put it back in...So far, it appears to have been accepted...I so hope it works out as it does appear active...just not as active as the other two.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove 

Eaglet was rescued by a fisherman who alerted the park rangers........

UPDATE

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at Thu, Jun 6, 2019-10.42.27 PM.png

I just checked & the runt has not returned to the nest yet.  Maybe he/she fell out again????

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac ...Oh thank goodness!...Thanks so much for the wonderful update and bless the USFWS Staff!...I do realize that "only the strong" survive out in the wild; however, it is always wonderful to know that there are caring and compassionate humans who step in whenever possible to help as much as they can and that there is hope for the weakest...I didn't notice the updates under the video until I saw your post.

Thanks again!..The pictures you capture are beautiful! Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Amazing Story! I had been hooked on watching tiny kittens live and now watching the eagles live is gonna be fun too. I felt bad for the previous mom who faught and couldnt be found. What if she surprises us all and returns? Nonetheless eagles are amazing creatures and Im so thankful to people and all their efforts for helping them thrive and live their best life. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose 

I have been a Tinykittens fan/watcher/supporter for many years.  Shelly is one of a kind, and the work they do is amazing.

However, like you, I recently branched out to eagles and found them fascinating.  I quickly realized that I got way to anxious waiting for food deliveries to the nest Cat LOL

Then, when it was delivered, I couldn't stomach watching most of the time.

So, I had to let it go.

Now, I stick to watching beach cams and a few volcano cams.

Less drama! Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman"I quickly realized that I got way to anxious waiting for food deliveries to the next Cat LOL

Then, when it was delivered, I couldn't stomach watching most of the time."

Well then, I wouldn't advise you to watch the African bush cams.  The food deliveries are quick!!!!  When the various animals go to the watering holes, the crocodiles all holler.......

DELIVERY IS HERE!!!!! Smiley Very Happy