Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Rare Bald Eagle Trio—Two Dads and a Mom

[ Edited ]

@Teddie wrote:

This has been interesting to check out now and then and I’ve shared it with some family members. I tuned in early this morning while it was still dark there and the nest had been invaded with mice! Mama eagle seemed to be sleeping and I tried to wake her and warn of what was happening but she was slow to respond. Eventually she figured out what was going on and grabbed some of them with her beak. It was entertaining. 

@Teddie ...Oh my goodness!...Mama Eagle must have had quite a feast on those mice and also shared with her Eaglets....Breakfast in bed!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Trusted Contributor

I’ve been peeking in throughout the day. They’ve endured rain and wind and now it’s snow and wind. The mama eagle is hovering over her little ones, trying to protect them. She looks miserable. 

Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at Sat, Apr 27, 2019-6.53.07 PM.png
@Teddie wrote:

She looks miserable. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at Sat, Apr 27, 2019-6.46.18 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac  Thanks for those screenshots so others could see how she’s doing! 

Honored Contributor

My pleasure

Honored Contributor

@Marp   That was such an interesting article.  Thank you for sharing the link.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful Mama!...Amazing how they manage to tolerate such extreme weather conditions!...I've been doing some research to learn more about these beautiful birds and it helps to lessen my concern,  as it breaks my heart to see them being rained on and covered in snow while protecting their eaglets!

Can anyone tell me how often Mama gets a break and the Males show up to do their part...or are they hiding out in a more protected area...all warm and cozy...LOL

I checked the weather report for their area and it shows rain throughout the week with brief periods of Sun.

Mama & Eaglets are active and looking good when I just checked in! Woman Happy

eta:...I wish I could capture the precious picture of them this morning but I'm not sure how to freeze the picture in order to copy and paste?

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

eta:...I wish I could capture the precious picture of them this morning but I'm not sure how to freeze the picture in order to copy and paste?

On a Mac....

Command>Shift>4 ------- which will form cross hairs to capture how much of the pic you want to copy/paste.

All by themselves this afternoon (4:15pm).

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at Mon, Apr 29, 2019-4.11.15 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Mz iMac ...I'm on a Windows PC and such a klutz when it comes to some of these functions that involves more than just the basics of simple copying and pasting....I will check further and give it a try. Woman Happy

I'm surprised to see that the Eaglets were left alone in their nest, as I thought that Valor 1 or Valor 2 usually gave Mama a break and protected them also?

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised to see that the Eaglets were left alone in their nest, as I thought that Valor 1 or Valor 2 usually gave Mama a break and protected them also?

@MyShadowLove  The cam does not show a full view.  When the eaglets are left alone usually, "dad" is perched nearby on the nest tree watching the eaglets, "step dad" is flying around nearby while mama is away.

When the eaglets get more feathers/less down & become rather active, the cam view will be much wider.