Respected Contributor

Re: A Person of Interest In Idaho University Killings Taken Into Custody

[ Edited ]

If there was a confirmed DoorDash food delivery at the house at 4 am, then not everyone was fast asleep in bed. It seems this was indeed a targeted killing as police said from the very beginning. The white Elantra was seen 12 times near the house in days or weeks prior to the murders. He was stalking Kaylee according to interviews from others. They said that's why they always felt safer if they traveled around together in a group.  

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

I certainly hope no one is throwing any shade on the roommate who witnessed someone leaving the house. I can't imagine the amount of survivor's guilt this innocent young person must being dealing with.

From the earlier comments I've heard this house had a revolving door of people coming and going at different hours. Perhaps in the wee hours of the morning this roommate was not in a frame of mind to grasp the severity of what may have happened, because who could have, and only wanted to go back to sleep.

@Etoile308  She stated in the affidavit that she was in a "frozen state of shock." when she saw the man leaving. She went back into her room and locked the door. That tells me that she probably did grasp that something very frightening was going on. 
I don't think anyone is throwing shade at this young woman but it would be naive to think that people are not stunned by this new information and wondering how anyone wouldn't have checked on the roommates with a phone call or made a call to 911 if the roommates didn't respond.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One commentator last night reminded listeners that the police know far more than what's in the probable cause. They put just enough in the affidavits to get an arrest warrant. He speculated that everything   --  the delayed 911 call, calls to the ex, not checking on the other roommates, etc. -- have all been explained, good or bad.

The defense lawyer will certainly use all of this to create doubt, but the case should hold.

Respected Contributor

That's what I read. They showed what they needed to for probable cause but this in not the entire case they are building against the suspect. 

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308   Thank you for expanding my vocabulary by using "throw shade." Somehow it passed me by for 33 years. It was first used in the 1990 movie "Paris is  Burning."

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

I certainly hope no one is throwing any shade on the roommate who witnessed someone leaving the house. I can't imagine the amount of survivor's guilt this innocent young person must being dealing with.

From the earlier comments I've heard this house had a revolving door of people coming and going at different hours. Perhaps in the wee hours of the morning this roommate was not in a frame of mind to grasp the severity of what may have happened, because who could have, and only wanted to go back to sleep.

@Etoile308  She stated in the affidavit that she was in a "frozen state of shock." when she saw the man leaving. She went back into her room and locked the door. That tells me that she probably did grasp that something very frightening was going on. 
I don't think anyone is throwing shade at this young woman but it would be naive to think that people are not stunned by this new information and wondering how anyone wouldn't have checked on the roommates with a phone call or made a call to 911 if the roommates didn't respond.

I don't like the rush to judgement on the roommate either. I get the impression that there were plenty of people coming and going in this house, so running into an unknown individual in the wee hours of the morning may not have been a cause for alarm. She may have locked her door out of concern for her own safety, but that doesn't mean she feared for anyone else, she may have thought the man was a friend of someone else. I'm also not sure what type of mask he was wearing. A hoodie and a face mask would obscure someone's identity, but not cause too much alarm given Covid precautions. In addition, his walking past her might have suggested to her that he was harmless. 

These are college age kids that don't have the same life experiences of people three times their age. This young woman is not to blame for this monster's actions.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

I am sure the roommate is j well aware that she could have easily been one of the victims. Something like this is what can result in PTSD. 

Super Contributor

Idaho is a death penalty state. If found guilty, he could be executed for committing this heinous crime.

QVC Customer Care

Super Contributor

Richard Speck was able to kill 8 student nurses all by himself & they weren't asleep.