Respected Contributor

A New year at the Back Fence

January sure got here quickly didn't it? Hope all had a great - and safe - New Year's Eve and a laid back New Year's Day. Got to start with a gripe - just do not like how the bowl games have been broadcast for the past several years. I miss some of the games because I no longer can find them or even realize what day they are on. LOL. Ahhhhhhh for the good old days when the Orange Bowl was on New Years Eve and ALL the rest were on New Year's Day - I could pick and choose. Times have changed. Course there are more bowl games but I still like the original ones. So I actually only watched the Rose Bowl and part of one other. In years past I would have had a coronary to miss anything - guess I just got real old!!!

Stripes decided to come home last night and actually flew into the house - course I had only seen him twice in two days and he has really frustrated me. Have had cats all my life but his behavior is weird - do know I cannot stay up night after night to keep checking on him - am convinced he is going in somone's home and they are feeding him.

I got some pruning done of the monster black olive tree - sure hope I am not hurting it but it has gotten way out of control. Such a magnificent tree but sure needs clipping. leaves are almost gone from all my trees now so one more raking of the back yard today should fill up my large green waste container for this week - am so happy I found out I could have two of those large containers and that second container has sure been a big help. Cannot believe I was so dumb I did not know - after all these years - they provided two if you wanted them. Sigh.

Had my black eyed peas and collards and corn bread yesterday. Sooooooooooo yummy.

Have a great day everyone and I hope and pray this new year will be a comfort to one and all.

Honored Contributor

Re: A New year at the Back Fence

Good Morning Back Fencers - It's 12 degrees at my end of the fence and the snow is falling so gently that it's barely visible. It's been doing this for over 24 hours and I will need to drag out the snowblower to clear the walks and driveway. My DH bought an Ariens when we moved into this house and I think the machine is just too much for me. It has a headlight, three speeds forward and two speeds reverse and is self propelled. Snow has to really be deep or heavy before I pull the machine out and use it. I find in the last year or so it's like wrestling with a bear when I use it (lol). It was something that belonged to DH, so I hesitate to get rid of it {#emotions_dlg.blush}. Maybe I will give it one more season. I go to the endocrinologist this month (FINALLY) and maybe once I get some medicine for this thyroid I will get my pep in my step back. Fingers crossed that we ALL feel more peppy this year.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Might not be able to see over the fence if the snow keeps coming! Stay safe.

Honored Contributor

Winifred, I am in total agreement about the bowl games. Just was complaining yesterday that now they spread them out over different days, plus they give them such stupid names because they are named after the corporate sponsor.

Regular Contributor

Greetings Back Fencers and it's so nice to see new folks here. Welcome AuntG and RetRN. Hope you'll come by real often.

It's beautiful at my house by the Fence here in Texas, but the weatherman says snow's a'comin' ! Which is good as we nearly always need more moisture though I wouldn't want as much as some of the other states are getting.

I could not care less about any kind of sport except ice skating and swimming. I'm so glad we have two TV's so I don't have to watch them cuz if sports are being broadcast Jim's watching. However, he's not really interested in college football, but there always seems to be some sport he likes. Which is OK, because I like HGTV and Dr. Phil and Judge Judy none of which he's very interested so there ya go.

BirdMama, hope you get some positive answers from your doc and get a little more oomph. How's Mr. Naughty bird behaving these days?

Today is Robin's day to clean, but she called and said she's sick and not only did she simply not feel like coming, she didn't want to expose us to anything and said if she feels better she may come tomorrow, but I think I'll call and tell her not to come as she probably won't be up to it then either. She is such a joy to have around and we consider her a good friend...so sorry she's under the weather.

I am actually feeling a bit better, but still having the tingling in hands and feet which is mighty uncomfortable though of course not painful, but it is affecting my walking. I've nearly fallen a few times; can't imagine what is causing it, but want it to stop.

Freddie, glad Stripes decided to come home. Cats just have a mind of their own. And speaking of cats, I need to go feed mine.

Happy Friday all! Sue

Trusted Contributor

A Happy New Year to the back fencers' !!!!!!!! We were asleep by eleven,but we had the dog here and she woke us up as she's afraid of firecrackers. so she came panting into our room and stayed nearby for a while. what a big,spoiled baby she is!!!!!! nothing else going on. Tonight is to be from 0-10 dregs', with cold for a week or so. I'd. Enter get out for some food. My DH goes for me it he does not know to just pick up "things",if you know what I mean. All women do this I think?everyone stay warm and save.....
Respected Contributor

Epi, loud noises can truly bother a lot of dogs and it can be quite serious. Bailey was terrified of thunder so although we had thunder rarely, I had to hold him - he shook so bad and you could see he was terrified. Felt so sorry for him. Sara, the beautiful dog that belonged to Don went insane. She would try and literally eat the chain link fence and claw at it if someone shot of firecrackers or there was a loud bang - saddest thing on earth to watch and I had to call Don at work a couple times as I could not get into their yard to try and help her. She would tear up her mouth and feet and lost a couple teeth over it. You could not control her at all - although Don could manage to eventually calm her down but he had to stay in the house with her. She was such a beauty and so retal - really miss her.

Just heard on TV that Phil Everly passed away - how sad - I always liked the Everly Brothers.

I was able to bring Stripes in early yesterday so I just kept him in. I usually do not do that as he loves his time outside but decided to just watch him. STrangely he slept almost the entire time and only tried a couple times to escape and even then it was half hearted. So he was in from about yesterday at 10 or so in the morning until about a half hour ago. Did let him out this morning. I know cats love to sleep but he slept the entire time he was in the house for perhaps an hour. LOL.

Have a great day everyone - Sue glad you have two TVs also. LOL. I am sure glad I have two here especially when the kids are here.

Honored Contributor

Good Saturday Morning Fencers - the weather continues to be bitterly cold here. I ventured out of the house yesterday to check out my local Target. They did a major re-org to the store and very little was where it used to be. Good thing I was just browsing. I think today I will top off the gas tank in my car and fill up the gas can. Looks like I will be using my snow blower a lot this weekend, expecting 8-10 inches of snow by Sunday night. Of course, my vacation is nearing the end and nothing says Happy New Year like driving to work in rush hour in nearly a foot of snow {#emotions_dlg.glare}.

Honored Contributor

Checking in after a white knuckle drive into work. We had quite a bit of snow and the drive in was interesting. I am the only person on my team that showed up. The director, managers and almost all of the team leads didn't come in today. On the bright side, the parking spaces were abundant {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}. It's very quiet on my floor - I love it. It's supposed to get to -15 tonight with a wind chill of -35. They are saying that we haven't had these temps in 20 years. Keeping my fingers crossed we don't lose power.

Trusted Contributor

Birdmama,glad you made it to work I! Hope your trip home was uneventful!!! we are to get blasted tonight with the cold, not snow,but low temps. I can tell something is going on as I hurt terribly all over since yesterday. I was amused by my mail today. received my spring flower catalogs. never too early!!!!!! I did find a few things that I will order tomorrow,before they sell out. Where is everyone???? HASD,are you still n a flare up???? Everyone stay in and stay safe and warm.....