Respected Contributor

Re: A New year at the Back Fence

HASD I could plant some flowers as it has been very warm here in Sou Cal. However, not sure any would survive elsewhere. LOL.

Actually my checkup came off as well as it could AND I got royally chewed out by my MD. I kind of knew I would. I have never seen him angry - he got angry with me twice and he was right both times. One was for my weight gain - he basically said GET IT OFF NOW!!!! Had put on 10 pounds more than I was 6 months ago. I know why too - I got really stupid! I discovered Moose Tracks ice cream. It is addictive and I found myself going to the store to JUST buy that and nothing else. NO MORE and it was really dumb as I am not an ice cream eater per se. Also got use to munching on Ritz roasted veggie crackers BUT I added cream cheese. I have to drop at least 10 pounds like FAST. I got the message. The other thing was this. He asked me why I started taking Vitamin E. Told him I had read it was good for you, etc etc. He informed me - and not nicely - by taking that vitamin I had increased my mortality rate by a good percentage - I know what he said but not going to put the number on here. He asked me why I had a primary care physician if I did not check with him. Mercy me!!! I had also started taking D-3 - thinking it would help my arthritis and poor bones. He told me he would not take it, that would NOT help my problems but he said he would not tell me to stop but he also added, I do not think it is helping you. Had to laugh as the next morning on the early news heard this - in my words but generally what they said - every news channel - "if you are taking Vitamin D for bones forget it because they have found it does little or no good." Well, he obviously knows of what he speaks. Will give him credit on the weight gain as he said, if you put on that much weight in 6 months where will you be in another 6 months. He was so right. He has been my primary MD since 1999 and he looks today just like he did then and I would say he has not gained an ounce. He is not a young man - white hair but has a great build. He smiled when he said to remember the older we get the less food we need - I knew that put put that thought in my deep freeze I guess. He also changed my inhaler to see if a new one would help a tad more. So I need to go back to not snacking as I had never done that in my entire life other than to munch on various fruits and raw veggies.

Thanks for the BD wishes - golly gee but I got here fast. Sigh.

Wednesday I go for laser work on both eyes - am still waiting for them to call me and tell me what time. Since they are doing both eyes - what a surprise when I got the paperwork as my eye MD said the left eye - I have to have a driver - one eye I can drive myself. Don't have one single friend who is either not sick, will drive the freeway or has other things to do SO I have to get a ride from my insurance company but must make reservations - sure wish they would call.

We had a few sprinkles very early morning and Thursday and Friday showers are expected - say some more prayers.

Hope all have a great day!!

Honored Contributor

Winifred - sorry you got chewed out by your doctor. Hmmm, so calcium/vitamin D supplements don't help? Well, I am disappointed to hear that. I finally forced myself to get into the habit of eating 3 times daily instead of only when I am hungry just so I could take a one-a-day in the morning (has vitamin D, etc) and two more calcium/D supplements throughout the day for my bones. Here's hoping weight bearing exercise does something for me because I am not taking those crazy bone density drugs {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Don't know anything about calcium/Vit D supplements - he only mentioned the vitamin D per se and also that is all they talked about on the news - that I heard. Am sure there are times it is good but not for me obviously. And certainly no more Vitamin E at all. LOL.

Got a call today from his office to go back the middle of February. Guess he is going to check on my weight (don't know that but it must be the reason) - boy howdy I sure hope some of it comes off - course he told me to get it ALL off. Guess he was serious wouldn't you say - that's fair.

Tomorrow morning is my laser zap for my eyes. Thursday we are suppose to get some showers - am sure hoping we do. Today had some sprinkler heads fixed - one still needs some work on it - actually it needs a new head. Haven't used it due to some problems and then I had not used it some time back as we did have a good soaking. The yards are pathetic so really need some water on them. Tomorrow they will run and then hopefully we will get heaven sent moisture on Thursday and perhaps Friday. I did weigh and so far my scales do not show much of a weight loss - perhaps a pound. But then home scales and scales in a doctor's office do not weigh the same.

My goodness but it has been an expensive few days. Today the sprinklers AND some Frontline flea repellent for Conrad AND the cats. Also had to buy some more weed killer as I was completely out of that also. Bought some stamps the other day before the price increase and several other items - those things sure make a dent in the old pocketbook. Sigh. Also a new inhaler with a heavy co-pay and I wrote my co-pay out for tomorrow's eye work. Maybe I should find a part time job.

Hope all had a great day!!!!

Respected Contributor

Eye lasers - both eyes - went fine yesterday. Today I ahve been busy with settting up other appointments that my primary MD wanted me to do - never said a word to me about them. Am going for a pulmonary function test - AGAIN - buit am disappointed as the marvelous pulmonary gury has retired - he was so very good and I loved his crazy sense of humor. Will be interesting to meet with someone else.

Hope it rains - sure overcast outside but then now it is pitch black - but the bulk of the mid afternoon to darkness it was really cloudy. Suppose to rain so am praying it will.

Stripes was a BAD BOY and disappeared yesterday and he was not in for last night - not happy with that big boy again. However he is now inside - got him in about 4:30 today and told him that was it for today - no more outside. I truly worry about him when he gets in these spells.

Am really tired - been a busy day and quite frankly I do not like dealing with so many medical calls. Geesh!! Hope all had a super good day.

Honored Contributor

Hello there Fencers - I'm on my lunchbreak at work - whew this has been a crazy week. I got blood test results back, Hashimoto's for the thyroid. Picked up the Synthroid prescription on Tuesday, started taking it on Wednesday, don't feel different yet (hahahaha). I received my Total Gym yesterday - it got here early and I was surprised. Okay, it does not just weigh 50 pounds as advertised. UPS had stickers all over it warning it weighed over 70 pounds. I got it in the house - that was the easy part. I wrestled that thing like a dead man from 7pm until 9:30 pm. The instructions were on the lousy side in my opinion. I had to call QVC because one of the rollers under the cushion/bed thing that you sit and lay one was cracked (picture a flat tire). I can try to use the thing this weekend but it's disappointing to pay over $350 (includes S/H) to know you have something you have to fix once the replacement part comes in. I will try to be optimistic.

Winifred - good your eye surgery went well and sorry about the new appointments. This is why I don't like doctors - they get test crazy.

Epicurean - you never posted the details about your upcoming surgery on Feb 3rd. I don't want to be nosey and press you to talk about it if you don't want to. Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about it and am praying for a favorable outcome for you.

Waving hello to Meuw4, Yock, HASD, Queenof O2. If I forgot anybody, I'm sorry. They swear my thinking will clear up once I'm on the Synthroid long enough. I don't know {#emotions_dlg.unsure}Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

We are finally above aero but almost in a white out The neighbor across the street had her carpets cleaned today. Poor thing. They are getting ready to sell and it breaks my heart. They have two little boys preschool and she us expecting twins. They found a two story they really like but it isn't close to us. They really looked out for us. I've been on synthoid for several years. Can't say my memory is much better but maybe it is better than it would be without it. I mean the synthoid. Our guest bedroom no longer is heating. We are hoping it is a thermostat so we are going to attempt to chane it. I guess a trip to you tube will be needed. Were plugging along waiting for spring. We have electric coil in the ceilings. Lovely heat when it works Keep a. Eye o. That stripes G&R. Do you see a difference in your eyesight freddie
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Bird mama!!!!! I thought everyone would tire of my surgery by now,LOL. I am having open back surgery. The Dr. Is going to insert rods and pins to stabilize my spine. I have osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and very bad disc problems which not only causes much pain and is almost made me housebound. So, I have put up with this long enough. I will be in the hospital a week, I u for one or two days? Then most likely will be sent to a rehab. Faculity for a few weeks. I will be in touch as soon as possible as I will have my I pad with me. Thanks for asking.....Epi
Respected Contributor

Epi, we are always concerned about our friends we have made here. I do not envy you those surgeries - and I hope, however, you will be feeling much better afterwards. Prayers headed your way.

Betty, am sorry about your neighbor moving. I always hated to see the nice ones go and it seems they are usually the ones to go. I have never heard of heating coils in the ceiling. Boy am I a hillbilly!!! Stay warm. HOpe the thermostat change does the trick.

We finally got a tad chilly - AND had some rain last night -w ell rather a drizzle but it helps. Not a lot but it soaked in. Mountains only got a dusting of snow but that will help also!!

Goooooooooooooooo Broncos!!!!!!! (Still was hoping San Francisco got there instead of SEattle)