Respected Contributor

Re: A New year at the Back Fence

Mr. Stripes is in for the evening - yahoo!!!!Another very nice day BUT we sure need some rain - sooooo dry out here. Heavy winds and we are on red flag alert which is where we sweat out those huge fires. They terrify me as when they come roaring at you it can be very challenging to say the least. Suppose to start really cooling down by the end of the week - darn it anyway. This has been the driest year in California as long as they ahve been keeping records - we have only had about 3 inches this year - that will not work.

Rest of the week I will be busy - MD appointments for me and a friend I am helping, hairdresser, luncheon at church for we old coots and so it goes. Saturday I will not attend the breakfast meeting in REdlands - which is monthly - as I plan to go to a pruning lesson re fruit trees - that will be in Cherry Valley. I don't have the energy to do much "pruning" but at least I need to understand it better. Am currently TRYING to trim back a monster black olive tree - sure hope I do not kill it. It is gorgeous but has invaded the persimmon tree to the point I am not sure it will continue to produce persimmons - need to try and save it however.

I get sleepy so early yet when I lie down too early I do not sleep well. Have also stopped drinking anything beyond 6 for the past few nights and that has really helped with the waking up and running to the bathroom. Now if when I wake up if I could just go right back to sleep. Sigh.

Hope all had a great day!!!

Honored Contributor

If you were part of the cold front, then I hope you are thawing out. Yesterday was bad (-40 degrees) and the roads were worse compared to Monday so I called in for a vacation day. Short of feeding my outside birds and squirrels, I stayed inside. I went to work today and the roads were pretty bad but at least it was above zero.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Good Morning Fencers - I am looking at fog outside of my window. It's warmed up considerably as compared to earlier in the week and all of the snow is thawing. Some counties are now under a flood warning. I'm not going to get too excited about the temps because it's dropping again tonight. I will take advantage of better roads and head over to Pet Supplies Plus to stock up on my bird's food. I like to always have 2 extra bags of each food on hand in case something disrupts the delivery chain - I am never without.

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness, did not realize it had been so long since I had stopped by the Fence - must be slipping. So far Stripes has continued his lovely manners and been in every night - I was thinking four nights in a row and then I figured it out, he actually has been in 5 nights in a row - say a prayer he will show up again later on.

Very warm today but not hot. Went to my session on pruning. They only told you about new things to prune - which was also helpful - but hung around to ask about my 40 to 50 year old persimmon tree. He told me I could cut it back with no problems. I did that after coming home and also trimmed some other pathetic branches from it. He said it should not hurt it - we shall see. It is so old it has me nervous but I just cannot keep taking care of those trees that are gradually dying. Will say, however, it produced a ton of persimmons this year but not what it should have produced. Also cut some of the monster black olive tree back that was causing most of the problem to the persimmon. Dad was pretty darn good re gardening but bless him he sure planted that persimmon tree WAY TO CLOSE to that monster tree. Am sure he never figured that olive tree would get that big - it probably has never been pruned. I sure chopped on it so am hoping it will survive. All the others, peaches, pecans, plums, apple and apricots, stopped producing some years back - and some of them have disease now and the plum, apple and a couple of apricot trees have been chopped all the way down. The almond tree is huge and gorgeous but nary an almond in a very long time. Sigh.

Went to Kohls today with a lot of coupons - rewards, birthday, and 20% off - only spent $9. Bought three pair of stockings, 3 packages of peds, pair of slacks and a blouse - now you cannot do better than that!!!

Slept well last night for the third or fourth night in a row - it was heavenly. Now if I could only get back to NEVER walking up until I was ready to get up. LOL. No complaints however.

Hope all stay warm and dry. By the way, if possible would someone send us some water - am so afraid we will be rationed. Having lived through that once before, that is the pits!!!!

Honored Contributor

Winifred, sounds like you had a most excellent shopping day. I would gladly send some snow or rain your way if it was within my power.

Contributor

Hi fencers. It has been a blustery rainy day. Lots of branches down. A good day to hunker down by the fire and read while Ron watches the seahawks. For those of you with the terrible cold temps I was concerned for you. The news and pictures were scary. I am glad the weather is getting better.

Welcome to the new ones who dropped by. Nice to meet you and we hope you come by often.

Our kids gave us the best Christmas gift ever. They came for two days and did some deep cleaning after the mess of having the floors done and Ron being in the hospital a week with pneumonia. I really appreciated their work as some of it I can't do with my bad back.

Winifred I hope Stripes is still behaving. They sure have minds of their own don't they.

I am leaving a big pot of tapioca pudding at the fence. Haven't had any for ages. Enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Fencers, Nothing going on . My surgery date is Feb. 3. Will talk to the surgical coordinator tomorrow. Will let you know the details tomorrow....
Honored Contributor

Hello there fencers - sounds like we are all doing the best we can this January. I ordered a Total Gym from the Q last night. It's an advanced order (Jan 29th) and I spent several days thinking about it before I ordered it. I am getting 5 easy pays which is good and I find myself really excited about receiving the machine. I need weight bearing exercise for my done density concerns and I'm hoping the total gym helps me exercise in the proper form. I'm also tired of feeling like a weakling - where did all my muscle tone go?

Trusted Contributor

Bird mama,good for you for working out. Hope you love it,but take it slow. I used to go to a gym and still would if I couldSmiley Sad. I loved it and had way more energy,and did wonders for my bone density. Good Luck and have fun. Kind of damp and cold but no bad weather. Got my hair cut yesterday,really short!!!! I thought It would be a easy,no care do while I recover from surgery?My DH said he really liked it,it makes me look youngerSmiley Happy Guess the hair and him are keepers,LOL!!!! Wiinifred,I want you to shop for me. What a great bargain you got at Kohls!!!! I can always find something there to but. MEUW,WOW,what a wonderful thing for your children to do. I am so Envious!!!!!!!! My FAVORITE!!!!! Tapioca pudding.I have not made any in ages. Thank you. I just might might have to cook some up as we both love it. Everyone stay warm and safe. EPI
Honored Contributor

Hey there fencers - it's cold and partly sunny here, not too bad. I am nearly finished taking down my Christmas decorations - house looks bare and depressing (lol). I'll get used to it and it will be the new normal in no time.

Waving hello to everyone ~