Honored Contributor

Re: A New Meaning To Physical Education?

@Kalli wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@SilleeMee  I like the "idea" of a farm, but I have trepidations about the "nuts and bolts" of a farm ( pun sort of intended). My grandchildren are so brave and capable. They can kill and butcher chickens and turkeys, and they harvest deer for their family.  They even know how to butcher and cook the deer!

@PA Mom-mom , you just stirred up an old memory of my dad and my brothers on butchering day.  Brothers had to catch their free range chickens.  The chickens were quickly killed.  Brothers' fav part (sarcasm), was plucking all the feathers by hand. 

Anyway, brother #4 hated that so much, he became a lawyer!! Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Plucking a wild goose was one of the most horrible things I ever had to do. As a previous goose hunter myself, I had the chore of chopping off their parts and then defeathering them. The last image I have of that final event was of my trash can full of wings, legs and feathers hanging out the top. It was so traumatic for me that I will never hunt again and I don't eat duck any more either. I'm ashamed to even mention that I did such a thing. I did it in the name of love for my husband at the time, he's now  an ex-husband.