Honored Contributor

We've all had them, or at least we have.

We have two kitties, one is small and lovely and does no wrong, barely 5 pounds.  The other is a great hulking girl, a multi-color tortie.

DH was out this morning getting the beef tenderloin.  I was home enjoying moments of quiet and the Christmas village I always wanted.  It's lovely, a valley scene of a town and its inhabitants, right down to mailboxes and policemen eating donuts next to the dinner.

All of a sudden, whoosh, Taffy The Hulk jumps high for the first time and rampages through the village like a Christmas tornado, leaving behind mayhem and destruction.

Taffy has become the infamous Yule cat!

The Yule Cat (Icelandic: Jólakötturinn or Jólaköttur) is a monster from Icelandic folklore, a huge and vicious cat said to lurk about the snowy countryside during Christmas time and eat people. The Yule Cat has become associated with other figures from Icelandic folklore.

The threat of being eaten by the Yule Cat was used by farmers as an incentive for their workers to finish processing the autumn wool before Christmas. The ones who took part in the work would be rewarded with new clothes, but those who did not would get nothing and thus would be preyed upon by the monstrous cat. The cat has alternatively been interpreted as merely eating away the food of ones without new clothes during Christmas feasts. The perception of the Yule Cat as a man-eating beast was partly popularized by the poet Jóhannes úr Kötlum in his poem Jólakötturinn.  Wiki

yule cat

Honored Contributor

Re: A Mini Christmas Disaster

@Noel7I didn't know whether to laugh at your description of the cat ,or to  weep for your poor village

It sounds like you do have a Yule Cat alright.

I hope you can salvage your poor village

Respected Contributor

yule cat tore up your village . does that mean so far the christmas tree has been left alone so far.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Noel7I didn't know whether to laugh at your description of the cat ,or to  weep for your poor village

It sounds like you do have a Yule Cat alright.

I hope you can salvage your poor village

Go ahead and laugh @cherry Smiley Happy  After my initial shock, it was kind of funny.   When my daughter got here, bearing Christmas bakery goodies, she saw what had happened and told me the story of The Yule Cat.  The monster kitty in the picture looks like an evil version of Taffy, LOL!

I don't think anything was broken in the village, but it sure is a mess at the moment Smiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no @Noel7, your cat sounds like my daughters cat, Atticus. He is quite the trouble maker. She has 3 cats altogether and 2 are just complete angels but Atticus..... He likes to liven things up lets say. Here is a picture of the little ne'er-do-well.

No automatic alt text available.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Noel7Bless your heart.  I had the live tree that fell over this year.  Apparently a pedal on the tree holder didn't lock in.

Come on over.  Martinis!  NOW!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

yule cat tore up your village . does that mean so far the christmas tree has been left alone so far.

Hi @Pooky1  Smiley Happy

The infamous great hulking Taffy has been pretty good about the tree this time.  I think she learned her lesson from being yelled at in previous years.  She's 3 years old.

Taffy is comparatively not THAT big, but next to the perfect Princess kitty she's a hulk at 7 pounds and carrying a ton of long fur which makes her look even bigger.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Oh no @Noel7, your cat sounds like my daughters cat, Atticus. He is quite the trouble maker. She has 3 cats altogether and 2 are just complete angels but Atticus..... He likes to liven things up lets say. Here is a picture of the little ne'er-do-well.

No automatic alt text available.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

@Irshgrl31201

I'm so glad you came on Chat today!  I haven't talked to you in a long time, especially about nail polish, LOL.

I love the photo you're shared.  Yes, Atticus and Taffy seem to have a great deal in common!  I'll bet both are great sources of fun and frivolity.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, including the pets Heart

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Noel7Bless your heart.  I had the live tree that fell over this year.  Apparently a pedal on the tree holder didn't lock in.

Come on over.  Martinis!  NOW!!!

@ECBGWoman LOL

Oh, I am so there with you in spirit, and I love a good martini, make mine dirty! 

We ordered a new tree this year, it came with a huge missing part of the built-in stand, so back it went.  We decided to go with a Balsam Hill and it's a great choice.  The best part is that it came with all the pieces and nothing was broken, LOL.

Merry Christmas!

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your "pain", but I can't help but laugh!  Cat ... trouble!  They don't mean any harm ... or do they?   Gotta' love them. 

Kitten Kabobs at @Noel7 this evening.  Woman LOL

Please bring your choice of wine. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."