Valued Contributor

Re: A Memory Lane Question: Growing Up, What Was Your Favorite Toy and Why?

@depglass  my favorite gifts were my dolls,I loved my dolls,still do. Always loved handbags,but never received one, I made up for that when I became a adult.

My doll collection now very small I have child size(4,) dolls , and (6) 18 inches to 6 inches from Annette Himstedt to Faye Spanos,and Zapp artist addition.  While I don't play with them,I do dress them for the season (the large ones) from clothing from Ross and Tjmaxx on sale of course. Every year I donate  the previous clothing to the homeless shelter or Goodwill.  While I still look, I no longer buy dolls.Happy with my small collection.

Trusted Contributor

My dollies. I was born in 1944, so I enjoyed the simple things of childhood......dolls, bikes, roller skates, hula hoops, board games — and zero electronics. Wouldn’t trade those days for all the iPhones and iPads on this earth. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite gifts was a pink record case to hold my 45's. I carried that little case and records to my friends homes for many hours of fun listening and dancing to our favorite music. Oh, the wonderful memories!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella @chloe66 @CJC @GRACIE@Violet Fields Thanks for the lovely trip down memory lane!

My favorite “toy” at about age 8 or 9 was something called a “trace-a-round.” It was a flat, thin red plastic figure of a woman with positionable head, arms and legs. I would trace around her lightly in pencil on paper and then draw in the face, hair and clothes on the figure. As I got older, I sewed the outfits I drew.

When young I received piles and piles of newsprint for drawing and painting, and many paper dolls, Always looked forward to Betsy in McCall’s magazine.

When older (preteen) I was very blessed that my parents and grandparents gave me things like paint-by-number, origami, tile mosaic, calligraphy and many kinds of craft kits. I loved them all. 

Also had those clamp on roller skates and ice skates for winter. Loved both. I wore my skate key on a ribbon around my neck for years!

I would love to hear if anyone here has ever seen or used a “trace-around” and if you liked her. Mine eventually had arms and legs taped together. I do wonder whatever happened to her and would love to still have her.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heh! I had an etch-a-sketch. Does that count as electronics?

Super Contributor

@Skyegirl21 Thanks for reminding me of jacks! The neighborhood girls spent long hours at them and jump rope. I was geeky and would have rather read a book or set up my easel, but my mom would send me outside and lock the door so I joined in most days.

Then one day a girl made a “slam book” (awful thing with each qirl’s name at the top of a page, and then all the other girls would write their opinion or a secret about the girl at the top. Names were not signed, but only a number identified each entry. The girl who started the slam book kept the name- number key to herself.) When I told my Mom about the slam book I was allowed to entertain myself more often.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I remember slam books, mean girl fun. It hasn't changed just moved to the internet. Boys didn't do slam books which is the reason I'm not believing most of the women claiming harassment.

Trusted Contributor

@chloe66 wrote:

One of my favorite gifts was a pink record case to hold my 45's. I carried that little case and records to my friends homes for many hours of fun listening and dancing to our favorite music. Oh, the wonderful memories!

I took to college, and we are talking 1976, my orange and green record player that I got when I was 13, so I could play my albumns.  lol

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loved this doll house my dad made for my older sister.  It had actual lights

that you could switch out .  ( little screw in type christmas lights)   I played

for hours with my barbie dolls, making clothes.   It ended up in my room

eventually, and I would stare at it with joy with the little lights on at night

in my room at night.   Sadly though, after I moved out, and had children

finally, I inquired about it, and he had given it away !!!   I was heart broken.

I loved my first bike, and rode bike all of my growing up years around

the neighborhood, to the swimming pool.   Of course loved my rollerskates.

Lots and lots of wonderful growing up memories in my hometown.  

We did not come from a family with a lot of money.   The things we did

have, we appreciated very much.  

Also had a record player with a cardboard box full of 45's , and loved

listening to my transistor radio.   Great memories.   

@ciao_bella wrote:

Yesterday, I was at my niece's house and her young children were putting away a ton of toys they received for Christmas.  

It got me thinking about what my sister, brother and I had during childhood.  For us, there wasn't much money to be spent on toys for Christmas, but I do remember one year getting a 'used' bike and a pair of roller skates that you adjusted  by cranking the key to tighten it against your shoes.  It also gave me some really nasty ankle and heel cuts when they would fall off if you were skating on the bumpy sidewalk.   Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade those days for all the toys in the world. 

So, what about you?  What was your favorite toy growing up and why?

Super Contributor

Loved Loved Loved my transistor radio too !!!   I would listen to it under my

covers at bedtime....... wonderful memories !

@Jannabelle wrote:

I sure remember those roller skates - very painful!! My dolls were my favorite toys, especially Ginny (still have her). When I was in about 6th grade I got a transistor radio and thought that was probably about the best gift ever. LOL. Wonderful memories!