QVC Customer Care

Re: A Love Story in France OR How our countries approach the teacher/student relationship so differe

This post has been removed by QVC because it refers to the President of the United States

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Love Story in France OR How our countries approach the teacher/student relationship so differe

@lulu2 wrote:

Is it the age difference or the fact she was his teacher? 

The article pointed out the age difference is the same as the current First couple.

The age difference means nothing to me.  There are age differences like this in my family, and no one thinks twice about it.   

The teacher/student aspect is the issue, IMO, and especially because he was clearly a minor at the time.

Older man/younger woman or older woman/younger man is fine (as is older man/younger man or older woman/younger woman).  But not when one of the people involved is a teenager and the other is his/her teacher.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Is it the age difference or the fact she was his teacher? 

The article pointed out the age difference is the same as the current First couple.

The age difference means nothing to me.  There are age differences like this in my family, and no one thinks twice about it.   

The teacher/student aspect is the issue, IMO, and especially because he was clearly a minor at the time.

Older man/younger woman or older woman/younger man is fine (as is older man/younger man or older woman/younger woman).  But not when one of the people involved is a teenager and the other is his/her teacher.

@NYC Susan ITA and don't understand why this relationship (at it's inception, years ago) would even be defended.

Take a look at the TN teacher and his abduction of a 15 year old student. Doesnt that creep people out anymore. I find it abhorrent!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Simply inappropriate; I have always found this behavior disturbing.  I taught in high school for many years and when I looked at my students, I saw children--not young adults.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I agree she looks more like his Mum than his wife , but if that's what floats his boat. I don't think any one should judge them, they have to answer for their choices.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I agree she looks more like his Mum than his wife , but if that's what floats his boat. I don't think any one should judge them, they have to answer for their choices.

Sorry, but I'm judging.  He was a 15 year old boy, and she was his teacher.  You better believe people are going to judge!

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Simply inappropriate; I have always found this behavior disturbing.  I taught in high school for many years and when I looked at my students, I saw children--not young adults.

I thought the same thing.  When I was 22, I taught middle school.  Even though I wasn't that much older than the 15 year olds, they seemed like babies to me.  Very young, still very undeveloped in many ways.  There were a few who had crushes on me, but no way in a million years could I ever have viewed them as anything other than my (YOUNG) students.  

Something is definitely off with someone who does what this woman did.  Even if for some reason the attraction is there, it's just all kinds of wrong to act on it.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

ITA. My cousin married one of his students. They met when she was a freshman and married when she graduated. She looked much older. I met her only once, shortly before they married. They later divorced (no children).

When I started teaching hs, I never would have thought about this. 

I just thought it was interesting how countries see things so differently. What is scandalous in some countries might not be so scandalous in others. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love is a wonderful thing & the age difference of the two parties involved should have no bearing. However, it's absolutely unacceptable for an adult teacher to get involved with a teenage student.It makes no difference if the teacher is the male or the female!!! It's just plain disgusting.

A 15 year old is just not mature enough to make that kind of life altering decision for him or herself!! If that had happened to my son I would have been livid & pressed charges against the offender!! 

Honored Contributor

Just read that there will be a run-off election on May 7th. He may just win.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson