Honored Contributor

A Genius of a Founding Father...

[ Edited ]

How lucky that at a crucial time in our creation as a country, Benjamin Franklin was there.

Extremely accomplished people put the nation together, but Franklin still amazes with his brilliance and versatility.  A scientist, inventor, editor of the Declaration, skilled writer, and diplomat.  Inventor of the Franklin stove and the flexible catheter, among many, many things.  Founder of the first circulating library.  Elected president of Pennsylvania.

Appeared out of nowhere, basically--  his father was a candle-maker.   I often wondered why Benjamin Franklin didn't have a middle name.   Well, he was one of TWENTY children, the fiftheenth child and last boy.  I guess his parents were running out of names!  But that seems to be the only thing he was short on, ha.

Found a fun site that catalogs some of his many aphorisms and useful sayings.  I like this one--   "Plough deep while sluggards sleep"!    He also said something like, "There never was a good war or a bad peace".   I hope kids are being taught in depth about a guy like Franklin.  Of course he had his flaws, like everyone, but his many stellar qualities never fail to edify and astound.

Franklin's sayings:

https://www.thoughtco.com/ben-franklin-quotes-2831109

Honored Contributor

Re: A Genius of a Founding Father...

He was indeed a most complex and interesting man.

The information on him and his endeavors is such interesting and enlightening reading. 

I'd love to see a really good mini series done on him like was done on John Adams. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The founders of our nation we wise men. Our freedoms have resulted in the abundance that we share. I certainly will try to inculcate those ideals in my grandchildren.

Valued Contributor

I think our Founding Fathers were inspired men. So grateful for our wonderful country.

Nice post Oznell.

Respected Contributor

I'm currently reading a bio of Franklin.  He was a cool guy. So was Madison. Got interested in learning more about these folks after reading a great book about the Constitutional Convention, The Summer of 1787. 

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately today history is not being taught as it once was.

The judiciousness, foresight and wisdom of the Founding Fathers is not accentuated. The Constitution and Declaration are words on documents. People quote from them with less understanding of the significance behind it all.

Respected Contributor

Franklin had some "romantic" escapades while living in France💋

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Franklin had some "romantic" escapades while living in France💋

@chessylady. I had read that too ,  kind of hard to beileve !  France was a risqué place at that time it would seem.  

Valued Contributor

I am grateful for our founding fathers. They were brilliant and brave. I am a huge David McCullough fan and recently read his biography of John Adams. Highly recommend! Followed that with 1776. Great books about great men.

Super Contributor

A couple of things I know about Ben Franklin,  He never graduated from college.  My favorite Franklin quote:  "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right."   Got to love that guy!