Esteemed Contributor

A Funny Situation Today at Ace Hardware.

[ Edited ]

This afternoon I went to Ace Hardware to pick up some lightbulbs and other things. It was to be a quick in and out trip; then back home.

Walked in the door and was greeted by one of their friendly representatives who asked if he could help me. I responded that, "I'm on my way to the lightbulbs and know exactly where they are." He grinned and said, "Great to see you again, Ms. _______. Let us know if you need additional help." I gathered my lightbulbs, a couple of brass nozzles and placed them on the counter. Paused and asked the cashier, "May I leave these here while I find one more thing?" She laughed and said, "Of course. We have plenty of room."

I turned around and stopped. My mind was completely blank. Another Ace representative approached me and asked if I needed help. "I'm having aphasia. I need something to clean my computer keyboard, but cannot remember what it is called." He didn't have a clue and asked the first Ace representative that had met me as I had entered the store. They quicked discussed my need for cleaning a keyboard. Ace representative #1 said, "I can't remember the name either, but it's in the back of the store and I'll point you in the direction." We walked to the back and I said something about, "It's air pressure in a can." (Didn't that sound idiotic?) He pointed to the aisle where the computer supplies are displayed and I thanked him. Found the can of "Blow Out" and returned to the cash register. Paid for my items.

As I was walked toward the front door, the Ace representative (#1) asked if I found everything I needed. I laughed and said, "Sure. BLOW OUT." and walked out the door. 

Some day I'm going to be arrested for my own naive remarks! My son or DIL are going to arrive with rolling eyeballs to bail me out. I giggled all the way home. How could I have said that to him? Don't know, but I did!! And I'm still laughing. Smiley Embarassed

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: A Funny Situation Today at Ace Hardware.

Never be ashamed for giving us working folk a chuckle.  And I will gladly chip in for your bail if it ever comes to that.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  Beginning to think my son may decide I'd deserve the free room and board!! He's going to die laughing AT me when I tell him tonight. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady  You should charge him for that kind of entertainment!

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady, I'm sure Ace representative (#1) had a good laugh too.  It's always nice to deal with nice people.  And I'm with @Laura14 - I'll kick in for bail too.  Your son and DIL don't need to know all of your business!  LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  He's all too familiar with it. He grew up with my "foot in mouth" disease. That's how I know the 'rolling eyeballs' will occur. 

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady My favorite part of the story is that you shop at Ace Hardware.

I think shopping locally is so good for the smaller stores where you definitely get the personal touch.

How great is it that they even welcomed you by name?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Laura14  My son and I are very, very close. He's my best friend now that I'm a widow. Don't have any secrets from him. It'll be difficult keeping this one from my grandson, though . . . he's only 11 1/2. Probably not old enough for my son to share this one with him YET. 

Thanks for your offers of bail money, ladies! YOU ROCK. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl  I adore that store!  My husband used to write checks all the time. I charge to VISA and pay it off all at once. They have remembered our last name all of these years. Pretty cool. It's a great place to shop. Buy everything possible there. 

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 @Laura14  My son and I are very, very close. He's my best friend now that I'm a widow. Don't have any secrets from him. It'll be difficult keeping this one from my grandson, though . . . he's only 11 1/2. Probably not old enough for my son to share this one with him YET. 

Thanks for your offers of bail money, ladies! YOU ROCK. Heart

@BirkiLady, it's nice to hear you and your son are so close.  My husband and MIL were too.  She was widowed for many years and my husband and I took very good care of her.  We loved her to pieces as she did us.  She was just a kind, lovely woman and we still miss her, but do speak of her frequently and fondly.