Valued Contributor

Re: A Friend passed away last week and

Yes, it is common. An obituary runs a lot of money now days. Usually the obit is online with whatever company is preparing the body. Some people don't want a service. My spouse is telling me not to invite their siblings. Don't make me do your dirty work, I know you hate them for good reason but I can't do -- so maybe it will be no service for him either. 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Obituaries and such just are not safe today. People get robbed and or have identities stolen when such info is online or in the paper. I will not want or have such for DH or myself. 

Agree when obituaries are  published in today's world, you are letting ANYONE know you  are gone, it's  really not  safe .

You could also  be letting low life individuals know family will be out of  home for viewing, burial .

Remember a case in NY of a female wearing different wigs,breaking into homes,while families were  at viewing or burial . She was stealing jewelry after reading obituaries, in area newspapers where she didn't  even lived,finally was apprehended with wigs in her car and guess you could call a noisy neighbor calling the PD about a car riding up and down the road of a deceased person,knowing the family was at the funeral home.

Trusted Contributor

My DH was very clear on what he wanted.  No viewing, period.  So we did as he wanted.  Placed his ashes on the hutch along with a few pictures and a can of beer, just as he requested.  We had family and a few friends here in the home, very casual, very comforting to me.  He always said he did not want to have a viewing where people would remark on how great he looked.  He said, what, I'm dead how's that looking good, so have some food and a beer or two and remember me fondly.