Honored Contributor

Re: A Friend passed away last week and

@ID2 wrote:

My dh and I were just disscussing this. My wishes have always been that I don't want a wake or anything. Creamate me and scatter my ashes in our lake. My kids are to go out and have a great dinner in my memory. That's it. 

@ID2 

That's exactly what we did with my father.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

My dh and I were just disscussing this. My wishes have always been that I don't want a wake or anything. Creamate me and scatter my ashes in our lake. My kids are to go out and have a great dinner in my memory. That's it. 

@ID2 

That's exactly what we did with my father.

Mom's ashes were scattered in Lake Tahoe where she lived for twenty years and just loved the area immensely.  Since her parents were deceased here in our home state of Texas we put a foot stone with her name and dates at the feet of both of them.  Just a place to be near her since California is so far from Texas.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

wantRe: A Friend passed away last week and

I don't want an obit nor a service. I have no spouse nor children. Just siblings and their kids (We mean very little to each other these days), coworkers ( I've not known long) and past ones who have gone on to better things. Services are for the living. I don't want people going out of their way. Obits cost money now that there are barely newspapers,not worth it.

JMO

Esteemed Contributor

For me, I want a very personal gathering.  Plant me in the ground by all the beloved dogs and break out some beer.  Just friends sitting around.

I will come back and haunt anyone who puts me in a cemetery.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Most people do have an obit but they are pricey.  My brother's that I did last year was very simple and not long at all.  It was just under $200.00 for basically two paragraphs.  May be they will do one a bit later than just after the death. 

I am so sorry for your loss.

I think less and less people have an obituary because it is so pricey.

When my parents died almost 20 years ago. Each of their obituaries cost $400+ for a one inch paragraph.

Honored Contributor

Obituaries and such just are not safe today. People get robbed and or have identities stolen when such info is online or in the paper. I will not want or have such for DH or myself. 

Trusted Contributor

In my area, there are still pages of obituaries in the Sunday paper.  It seems like there are many more cremations with smaller services.  Just my opinion, but it seems like when there is nothing said or done, it's like the person never existed.

Respected Contributor

Obituaries are an invitation to thieves.  They know the bereaved will be out to visitations and funeral, so the home is empty, easy to break in. Scammers call, claiming the deceased has a debt needing to be repaid.  

My husband passed away April 2020 at the start of the pandemic.  He was cremated with no service. It felt right under the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

There have been friends and people that I know who they are that there has not been any obits for them. Seems to be a trend around here.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting conversation.   When my mom passed away 10 years ago it cost us $700 for an obituary.   She had very little life insurance so it cost a bundle for the services too.  While we all chipped in , we did keep it small for the wake and private for her funeral.

She was old school so she wanted the traditional.  I do agree that this is mostly a thing of the past now due to cost and Covid helped change things too a bit.   When we go we just want something very small, a one morning thing, no hoopla to speak of..........