Honored Contributor

Re: A Flood of store closures

@Spurt wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Within about 2 miles of my house - there was a new CVS built then a few months later another CVS was built about a mile from the first CVS that was just built. Then a block from the first CVS a Walgreen's was built. About 2 miles from that Walgreen's another Walgreen's was built. And then about a half a mile from the original CVS a new Rite Aid was built.

It was crazy that when they were building all these new pharmacies that they thought they all could survive.

It is crazy trying to differentiate the different pharmacies at the Doctor's office. I have had to run from one to another one because the Doctor's office is confused which was the right one.

@drizzellla @shopperqvc

Im surprised CVS isnt closing stores....they certainly over built in our city...then they said people were coming in for prescriptions and not purchasing the other merchandise they offered so they were in the process of converting the other merchandise into a kind of health oriented merchandise think GNC..........it will be interesting to see how CVS fares in the days/weeks/months/years to come.   And they messed up my prescriptions so many times.....I was so glad when my employer's insurance switched to Walgreens..........

Well - I use Walgreen's for my prescriptions. It took me over 4 months for them to just FILL my prescriptions. They kept saying my Doctor never sent it to them. Then they mailed a prescription to me. Said it was from the wrong Company (had Walgreen's name all over the bottle) and I had to mail the drugs back to them. Then after I mailed the drugs back to them. They said they did not have a prescription, I would have to have the Doctor send them one. I asked then why did they send out the drugs to me in the first place if they had no prescription.

It was horrible. Then when they did recieve the prescription from the Doctor, they sent out emails saying they were going to cancel them. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Within about 2 miles of my house - there was a new CVS built then a few months later another CVS was built about a mile from the first CVS that was just built. Then a block from the first CVS a Walgreen's was built. About 2 miles from that Walgreen's another Walgreen's was built. And then about a half a mile from the original CVS a new Rite Aid was built.

It was crazy that when they were building all these new pharmacies that they thought they all could survive.

It is crazy trying to differentiate the different pharmacies at the Doctor's office. I have had to run from one to another one because the Doctor's office is confused which was the right one.

@drizzellla @shopperqvc

Im surprised CVS isnt closing stores....they certainly over built in our city...then they said people were coming in for prescriptions and not purchasing the other merchandise they offered so they were in the process of converting the other merchandise into a kind of health oriented merchandise think GNC..........it will be interesting to see how CVS fares in the days/weeks/months/years to come.   And they messed up my prescriptions so many times.....I was so glad when my employer's insurance switched to Walgreens..........

Well - I use Walgreen's for my prescriptions. It took me over 4 months for them to just FILL my prescriptions. They kept saying my Doctor never sent it to them. Then they mailed a prescription to me. Said it was from the wrong Company (had Walgreen's name all over the bottle) and I had to mail the drugs back to them. Then after I mailed the drugs back to them. They said they did not have a prescription, I would have to have the Doctor send them one. I asked then why did they send out the drugs to me in the first place if they had no prescription.

It was horrible. Then when they did recieve the prescription from the Doctor, they sent out emails saying they were going to cancel them. 

It certainly seems there is a lot more to this story than is being told here.Really a lot more.

Respected Contributor

I hate seeing the brick and mortar stores close. Internet shopping is not as fun as the hunt ! I loved shopping with my dear sister and running from store to store.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon  Same story for us.   Mall has been vacant for over 15 years.  Two anchor stores that came later but the total middle is empty.  We have a Home Depot on one end and a Boscovs at the other.  Lots of problems with the city... there were groups who wanted  to open it but the deals fell through.  Too much red tape I figure.

In any case I buy by catalogue, I buy by Amazon or Ebay.   And Costco is my go to staple.  

Valued Contributor

I agree @Reever, the few times a year my sister and I are able to see each other, we have fun going shopping together.

Respected Contributor

I hate to see store and mall closures.  It is depressing.  Having said that I have never been a mall person.  I go in maybe Penneys and then get in the car and drive around to the other anchors.  I never go in all the little stores in the mall.  I am a fan of town centers and outlet malls.  Hope they don't close.

Esteemed Contributor

Its kind of depressing that the ones that are thriving are the ones like Tj Maxx and Ross. I'd like to go in a nice store, where clothes are well arranged, they didnt look like cheap junk and when I actually bought them, they would last for more than one season or two. Kind of like it use to be. And where you didn't have to hunt all over for cute casual shoes made of real leather.

Yesterday, I went to my small JCPenneys, that recently put in a Sephora. Customer service very lacking. I've been in this Sephora three times and haven't been able to purchase what I went in to buy any of those times, because they are out.

Between that and the clerks being too busy talking between themselves about how they apply make up, the best foundation they have ever used and the like, I am done.

I will buy online if I can't go to a bigger city.

Thanks, I feel better now. Have a great day everyone Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We live in a chronically economically distressed area, due to spectacular mismanagement at the state level.  Real estate values are chronically low, wages are low, young people flee to more business-and-job-friendly states by the droves.

Our mall has sort of lanquished for decades.  Still, I was pleased to see it was jumping before Christmas, with shoppers thronging everywhere.  Kohl's had to have one of their store people managing the long lines at the cashiers.

I'm not under the illusion that the mall will suddenly become healthy, since there have been too many languishing years and bad policies to overcome.  But at least the holiday business climate appeared markedly on the upswing everywhere here, and I'm hopeful for a general pick-up in the economy.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Our upscale outdoor mall is doing very well.  They just built a beautiful movie theater with 12 theaters.  They have reserved seating and comfortable reclining loungers.  There is a gourmet food court attached to the theater that is always busy.  

They closed the Sears, but are completely renovating the inside to include a Land's End, other smaller retial stores and something called Kid Zone.  I imagine it's an indoor playground for kids.  

The anchor stores are Nordstrom, Macy's, Neiman Marcus and Lord and Taylor - all busy and doing well from what I can see.

This particular mall has something more than shopping - dining, recreation, and other activities. 

@Bri36 I think that is a big key in being successful. Our Mall when it first opened had shopping, dining, recreation and lots of other activities(modeling shows, Christmas concerts,etc.). Once they took all of that awya, the mall started going downhill and stopped attracting people. You need more than just shops, I think!

Respected Contributor

My mall has a center court area. It is used for photos with Santa and the Easter Bunny, but during other times I've seen craft fairs, car dealerships, and even a home remodeling expo.