Trusted Contributor

Re: A Flood of store closures

@jlkz wrote:

@wishmoon

On one of our weekend trips, I remember stopping at a mall near Frackville where I knew there would be a Bon-Ton.   Surprise: they were gone and we were told the whole mall might be either torn down and / or a new type facility would replace it.  

Progress....may be not for those who worked there or for those who must now travel quite a distance to shop.

This one is near Williamsport, PA. This mall, like many, was just slapped together. From its opening, I remember buckets being on the floor in several stores to catch the water when it rained. I think they lost their business to online shopping. Malls pretty much lost whatever class they had when the valley girls (such as they are in PA, teen girls with sing-song voices who said "cewl" and "ya know" a lot) stopped hanging around Orange Julias. I remember each time I walked out of the Bath and Beauty Shop, I must have smelled like a "lady of the evening." Wow, how do you like that...I clean up my language good for the QVC board! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden wrote:

Other than my groceries that I buy in person at store  only because I enjoy  picking out my groceries still....., I do all my other shopping on line now. I never set foot in a CVS or a walgreens or  the like.  Why if you can get everything online and use mr Rebates or Ebates and get money back?

(bolded by me)   I could have made that exact same statement!   I never was much of a 'shopper', but I do like choosing my own groceries.   I would not want somebody else choosing my produce and with most other products, I'm picky about checking dates.  

I really don't want to go to any other types of stores.   I sure wish Amazon was on MrRebates, because that's where most of the other money I regularly spend goes - probably a solid 95%.

I have enough physical challenges, including asthma which makes it dreadful to have to breath in some peoples' bottle of cologne they splash on before they leave the house, plus I cannot do crowds, that it's purely dreadful to spend time in stores for me.

Trusted Contributor

In my area, stores that would usually show up in malls are now starting to show up in shopping centers that resemble outlet store locations.  Since malls are closing, this is probably the smartest choice for stores that won't be swallowed up by Walmart and Target.  Why go to a Walgreens when you can go to Walmart to fill your prescription and get everything else Walgreens offers?  Plus you can do your grocery shopping and buy anything you can find at The Gap, Payless, Toys R Us, The Children's Palace, Vitamin World, etc.  I know people want these individual businesses to stay afloat, but I would rather use my free time doing anything but driving around to several different stores, so one-stop shopping is fine by me.  

If Walmart was smart, they'd kick Amazon's butt by offering free, same-day delivery for products available in store.  They could take a percentage of their floor associates and make them personal shoppers/drivers.  If I could place an order online while I eat my breakfast and come home straight after work to find everything on my doorstep, as opposed to having take 1-2 hours to go shopping, that equals more quality time for me.  This is the direction we're going, and I love it.  

Honored Contributor

If you read the whole article they discuss that much of the issue is TOO MANY STORES. For instance , I live in a small town. Yet we have 4 grocery stores(2 Publix  a Walmart super store and a Winn Dixie).One publix and the winn dixie are always almost empty - the other Publix and the Walmart are jammed all the time. We also - in a town that isn't but 5 miles one end to the other - have 2 walgreens and 2 CVS  plus a couple private pharmacies.Seriously, how many drug stores does a town this size need? We have Walmart, 2 Bealls stores at least 2 dollar stores and a dollar tree. And,yes , it is a beach town but 2 big swim stuff stores. The one at the beach does well, but the other is always empty. Good place to buy flip flops though.

The hurricane blew the roof off our Burger King so not only did they remodel that Burger King and reopen it  but they also built another one about 2 miles from the first one.

The point is - no matter what the economy is - they just keep building and building. We have intersections here where every one of the 4 corners has a gas station & mini mart or intersections where there are 4 banks on all the corners.

Esteemed Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

In my area, stores that would usually show up in malls are now starting to show up in shopping centers that resemble outlet store locations.  Since malls are closing, this is probably the smartest choice for stores that won't be swallowed up by Walmart and Target.  Why go to a Walgreens when you can go to Walmart to fill your prescription and get everything else Walgreens offers?  Plus you can do your grocery shopping and buy anything you can find at The Gap, Payless, Toys R Us, The Children's Palace, Vitamin World, etc.  I know people want these individual businesses to stay afloat, but I would rather use my free time doing anything but driving around to several different stores, so one-stop shopping is fine by me.  

If Walmart was smart, they'd kick Amazon's butt by offering free, same-day delivery for products available in store.  They could take a percentage of their floor associates and make them personal shoppers/drivers.  If I could place an order online while I eat my breakfast and come home straight after work to find everything on my doorstep, as opposed to having take 1-2 hours to go shopping, that equals more quality time for me.  This is the direction we're going, and I love it.  

We have meijer here in the Midwest. They offer Shipt where I live. For $99 a year you get unlimited grocery deliveries. As long as the order is over $35 there are no extra fees. They have all kind of specials running when you use the ap. For a disabled person or someone that lives on the second floor this would be so worth it. But like someone else said that’s a hour of two of time you have to do something else. I would have to see what kind of produce they picked. But the produce is probably something that I would want to see in person. Another thought is that you don’t impulse buy like you would if your walking through a grocery store. So it could save you money.

Being disabled I always order my stuff online. It’s a pain to load the wheelchair in the car. Especially if it’s icy and cold out.  Makes it easier on my mom because she doesn’t have to take me.

Honored Contributor

My town closed a Target and a Walmart because we had 3 of each.  2 is enough.  Plus there are others 10 miles away in every direction.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If you read the whole article they discuss that much of the issue is TOO MANY STORES. For instance , I live in a small town. Yet we have 4 grocery stores(2 Publix  a Walmart super store and a Winn Dixie).One publix and the winn dixie are always almost empty - the other Publix and the Walmart are jammed all the time. We also - in a town that isn't but 5 miles one end to the other - have 2 walgreens and 2 CVS  plus a couple private pharmacies.Seriously, how many drug stores does a town this size need? We have Walmart, 2 Bealls stores at least 2 dollar stores and a dollar tree. And,yes , it is a beach town but 2 big swim stuff stores. The one at the beach does well, but the other is always empty. Good place to buy flip flops though.

The hurricane blew the roof off our Burger King so not only did they remodel that Burger King and reopen it  but they also built another one about 2 miles from the first one.

The point is - no matter what the economy is - they just keep building and building. We have intersections here where every one of the 4 corners has a gas station & mini mart or intersections where there are 4 banks on all the corners.

@151949

You bring up a store that really puzzles me--BEALLS--these stores are always like a ghost town even malls and shopping centers that do well----you see no one in their stores yet you never hear of store closures or financial trouble for them...a puzzlement for sure!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

wishmoon,

Is this your mall, the one featured in this Washington Post piece a few days ago?

First, this town lost its Macy’s. Then Sears. Now, all eyes were on J.C. Penney.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/first-this-town-lost-its-macys-then-sears-now-all-eye...

No, our Penneys left months ago. Man, when they clear out, they leave nothing, they even sold the shelves! 

Honored Contributor

I've never liked going to the mall to shop.  I'd end up wandering around, spending too much time looking for what I wanted or needed.  I love shopping online it's fast and easy and usually cheaper.

I do like shopping at Target, Michael's and Costco.  I get a lot of everyday clothes at QVC, basics like Denim & Co soft tee shirts, cardigans and pants when I can find the right length.  I have a lot of dressy items, so I don't have to worry about that.

Love Amazon, I get the new nail polishes there, vitamins and gifts for others.  It's always something.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@SeaMaiden  To answer your question, I shop in stores because I like to see items in person before I buy, especially for cosmetics.  

For clothing, too, I like to see and feel a garment and try it on.  This is  essential with coats and shoes.  I have lots of shopping near me so I can do this easily.

I will not buy clothing or shoes online (unless I have already bought something in brick and mortar, loved it and am in search of THE EXACT SAME THING online).

I can't imagine ordering online or off tv, things that may or may not fit, then having to hassle with returns, even if they might be 'free'. 

I like to see many other things in person and touch it , handle it, and experience the quality, size etc. before buying. I can't stand buying from websites that show one or two pictures of something, a half a description (which is often not even correct), and sometimes waiting for something I really need right now. 

One of the things I like about QVC is being able to see the products, have them demonstrated, explained and compared. Still doesn't work for clothing for me, but it is one reason I have shopped here for so long.