Respected Contributor

If you are interested in retail, especially malls , this may be interestig.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/a-tsunami-of-store-closures-is-about-to-hit-the-us-—-and-i...

Honored Contributor

Re: A Flood of store closures

[ Edited ]

I think the Walgreens closures (600) shouldn't be surprising.  After they bought Rite Aid, many stores became redundant.  And even before that, drug stores were expanding like crazy.  Around here, it seemed like there was new construction on every corner for one of the big three pharmacy chains.  It was as if they wanted to be both your favorite convenience store and drug provider.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TRAVELER,

This news makes me quake.  Just as poet John Donne wrote that "no man is an island," that we are all connected to one another, the economic landscape does not stand in disparate pieces.  Rather, one store, one company, is connected to another and, ultimately, the economic well-being of all.  

Admittedly, I went to my local large mall with anchor stores only one time during the holidays, and I was concerned that there were not many people there on one of the off-times of day.  Yes, time of day does matter, but heck, it was two weeks prior to Christmas Day.  

My strip malls are struggling so hard that it pains me to see what is going on.  On Christmas Eve, I went to an Office Depot that sits across from a COSTCO.  COSTCO was a madhouse with people searching for places to park.  On the other hand, Office Depot, just across the way, had two cars in the parking lot.  The entire store was at my disposal. 

Observations like this do affect me. 

ETA:  The reason I was at the Office Depot on Christmas Eve was that all my conveniently located Staples stores closed in the last year.  Unbelievable!  So, I went to this struggling Office Depot that is out of my way for the first time.  It had what I wanted, but will it be there next year?

Trusted Contributor

I live in rural PA and we had one mall close to us. All the anchor stores have moved out in the past year. I don't know how they can afford to keep their doors open with the small stores still there plus Bon-Ton. I remember when they opened, there were fountains, then they turned the fountains off. Next came filling in the fountains. The final disgrace (!) was when they "planted" fake flowers in real dirt. No kidding! They got the cheesiest plastic flowers and stuck them in dirt. C'est la vie! (Sounds like the human cycle of life.) Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wishmoon,

Is this your mall, the one featured in this Washington Post piece a few days ago?

First, this town lost its Macy’s. Then Sears. Now, all eyes were on J.C. Penney.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/first-this-town-lost-its-macys-then-sears-now-all-eye...

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon

On one of our weekend trips, I remember stopping at a mall near Frackville where I knew there would be a Bon-Ton.   Surprise: they were gone and we were told the whole mall might be either torn down and / or a new type facility would replace it.  

Progress....may be not for those who worked there or for those who must now travel quite a distance to shop.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I live in the Midwest in a town of about 100,000, and our Target, Toys R Us and our several Walgreens are booming businesses, at least at the holiday time, but generally year round they seem to do well.

I am sure there are some Walgreens locations that don't do as well as others, but our large Mall is on its last leg. We have a Bon Ton there, but our JCP and Sears have closed, so now there are just a few smaller stores inside. 

I can see it closing its doors in the near future, if something isn't done. They did sell it to a group that supposedly goes around the country and revamps dying malls, but so far nothing has been done to this one..

It is a shame really, because there are still a lot of people who want to still shop at stores, and not online..I do both!

Honored Contributor

Within about 2 miles of my house - there was a new CVS built then a few months later another CVS was built about a mile from the first CVS that was just built. Then a block from the first CVS a Walgreen's was built. About 2 miles from that Walgreen's another Walgreen's was built. And then about a half a mile from the original CVS a new Rite Aid was built.

It was crazy that when they were building all these new pharmacies that they thought they all could survive.

It is crazy trying to differentiate the different pharmacies at the Doctor's office. I have had to run from one to another one because the Doctor's office is confused which was the right one.

Honored Contributor

Other than my groceries that I buy in person at store  only because I enjoy  picking out my groceries still....., I do all my other shopping on line now. I never set foot in a CVS or a walgreens or  the like.  Why if you can get everything online and use mr Rebates or Ebates and get money back?

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  To answer your question, I shop in stores because I like to see items in person before I buy, especially for cosmetics.  

For clothing, too, I like to see and feel a garment and try it on.  This is  essential with coats and shoes.  I have lots of shopping near me so I can do this easily.