Honored Contributor

A Feel Good Story ( part two to thread This Makes Me Mad And Sad)

I am the OP of the thread This Makes Me Sad And Mad and bear with me I do have a point to make. If you didn’t read the other thread, in a nutshell it was about a young woman with Down Syndrome who wasn’t invited to pledge any of the sororities. Her older sister wrote to the school to complain, the school couldn’t do anything about it because the sororities are independent from the school. Everyone has their opinions about this and that’s fine. On Friday night I was watching World News Tonight with David Muir. The person of the week was a 14 year old young man named Adonis Watt who is a running back on his school’s football team. What sets Adonis apart from the other players is he is blind. He ran for two touchdowns, the other team had no idea he was blind. His teammates help him get around at school and run drills with him. His blindness doesn’t hold him back, it’s not an issue for his teammates, he is accepted as he is. What a contrast as to how Adonis has been treated by his peers and how the young woman with Down Syndrome has been treated. I just found this a feel good story ( you can see the video if you Google World News Tonight With David Muir, Person Of The Week 9/21/18, if I could I would provide the link).

Honored Contributor

Re: A Feel Good Story ( part two to thread This Makes Me Mad And Sad)

@Jordan2 

Beautiful story...Thank you so much for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Jordan2 

Beautiful story...Thank you so much for sharing. 

@Sweet_Serenity, your welcome. It was just such a sweet story, it made me tear up. If you can you should give it a look.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I saw that story,It was so heartwarming!!    

“United we stand divided we fall & if our backs should ever be against the wall we’ll be together.Together you & I”

We must remember who we are as a society.

Honored Contributor

That is another beautiful story.I do think however that there are times in life that the best person for the task at hand must be chosen.Would you like a blind surgeon to perform heart surgery on a loved one...what if this young mans next dream is to become a pilot?I feel badly for the girl with downs but I don’t know any person who had all of their dreams come true in the course of their life.That girl made it to college which in another time would have been only a dream.

Respected Contributor

The 2 stories have nothing to do with each other.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 What this story does is bring to light something this country is pretty darn good at.

What's that?  Well, because we are a young country, we are still 'subject to change'.  Sometimes that's not so good; but most of the time.....well, it's great!

So, as we see so many changes in this young country of our's, we are reminded of seeing a baby as he/she learns to walk, talk and be all grown up!  

Are we (the country) always struggling?  Are we (the country...and it's people) constantly in chaos?  You betcha!

But have you ever watched a baby try to walk?  They fall down and get back up over and over.  But (unless there's a medical reason)...they'll find a way to move.  They might need help...but they'll move.

So what if all of our struggles and ugliness comes out of the darkness....so what if other countries compare our boo boo's with THEIR wonderful l-o-n-g history.....

My guess is after this story aired, this young lady and other's that will follow, will be asked to join a sorority.

We've got a long way to go...baby....but we are a 'work in progress'.

Thanks for the smiles.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The 2 stories have nothing to do with each other.

ITA.

One was earned.

The other almost demanded it.

Honored Contributor

There's a huge difference between a sports team where a player is judged and accepted on his or her ability to contribute to the team and a sorority.   They aren't in any way the same thing.  Sororities and fraternites are exlusive and they are private social clubs.  More girls get turned away than who are accepted.  It's just not a big deal.  I thought it was good lie lesson for that young woman.  If she wants to be treated like everyone else, she has to accept that none of get everything we want in life.  We accept the disappointments and move on.  And honestly, not getting into a sorority isn't such a big deal.

Honored Contributor

I think the two stories do have something in common. The coach and team could have thought Adonis couldn't have anything to offer the team and dismissed him. I feel the young woman with Down Syndrome was dismissed as not the image the sorority thinks of themselves. I'm just saying she could have been given a chance, they could have then told her she didn't make it.