Esteemed Contributor

Re: A FEW MORE OBSERVATIONS OF QUIRKY WORD PRONUNCIATIONS...

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @just bee 

I totally say gum band.  ha!

Wow, I had no idea what you were talking about.  Had to google and do a little research.  Hahaha.  I never, ever heard the words "gum band".  

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 @justashopper   I still say gum band.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

And thought of a similar example that is peculiar to Canadians.  Certain Canadian English speakers, even to this day, insist on the British "shed-yool" with no hard "c" sound that most other Canadians and virtually all Americans give-- "sked-jool"....

You can guess a lot about a Canadian who says "shedule", ha.

@Oznell  isn't that funny? I have a Caribbean friend here spending some time with me and I Goodled the work schedule and ask her to pronounce it and of course it came out as shed-yool

Now I'll be talking like her while she is here lol.

Respected Contributor

As someone who was raised by a strict grammarian, and then taught English for decades, I find it sad that the worst assault on our English language is the slang and abbreviated versions of words courtesy of rap music, texting, and those who didn't learn  English as their first language. Those versions are being accepted as grammatically correct. Heinous. I have never found any alternative pronunciations by the Canadians or the British to be less than mainstream. It seems illiteracy is not even recognized now by many.

Honored Contributor

I loved English as a subject while in school.  I was in a advanced English class in High School and everyday two new vocabulary words were on the black board for the pupils to learn.  I loved seeing the new words and their meaning.  Even now if I come across a word I don't know, I look it up.  Sadly today grammar isn't important and some say it is the thought that counts even if the sentences, paragraphs etc.  are not correct.  For me it is cringe worthy when the English language is changed so that many cannot even write a simple sentence and words are so misused.

Respected Contributor

For those who have never heard of "gum band" and don't want to look it up, 😀 I just did. It means rubber band. I have honestly never heard of gum band and doubt I will ever use it. 

Respected Contributor

Not sure if this counts, but it made me think of 'dad gum it' my dad used to use this phrase many years ago and I assumed it was a southern expression of some sort but I'm not really sure. It's meaning would be the same as saying something like 'doggone it'. Which is kind of another peculiar phrase.😂

Respected Contributor

@santorini Thanks.  I thought it would be a toss Up between an Elastic band and a Band-Aid.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@santorini Thanks.  I thought it would be a toss Up between an Elastic band and a Band-Aid.

@candys mine 

Gumband.  It's a regional thing.  The region being the Pittsburgh area. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

For those who have never heard of "gum band" and don't want to look it up, 😀 I just did. It means rubber band. I have honestly never heard of gum band and doubt I will ever use it. 

Never heard of gum band either, it sounds like something they said 100 years ago.  I grew up saying rubber band but at some point that morphed into elastic band.