Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Shared on a discussion board or an e-mail as a comfort to my family . . .

Farewell, Dear Master,

You have been my teacher..., my friend and most beloved companion. I was like your child, totally dependent on you for all my needs. But I never grew up or moved away as children do, I just grew to love and need you more each day, each month, each year.

I never went hungry because you fed me dinner and gave me water every day.

When the weather was bad, I found comfort in the warmth and safety of your home.

The touch of your hand stroking my fur made my life worthwhile. Although I jumped at noises in the night, stranger's footsteps, and the ringing of the doorbell; the voices of my master and mistress were the sounds that I cherished most.

Your moods became my moods. When you were sad or lonely, I nuzzled closer to comfort you. There were times you became upset with me because I soiled the carpet, chewed on a piece of furniture, or meowed too much. But do not feel bad about those times when you scolded me - I needed to learn right from wrong, and I always understood when things weren't going your way or when you'd had an unpleasant day at work.

There is no need for you to harbor guilt or remorse on my behalf. You loved me and blessed me with more happiness than most animals will ever know. Instead of wondering what you could have done differently, remember the funny things I did and the happy times we enjoyed together.

Though it is hard for you to understand, I was ready to pass on from this life. Our time together was short, but if we'd had fifty years together, you still would not have been ready for me to leave.

So, please Master, share your life with others. Do not refuse the opportunity to give another lucky pet the love you have given me. No animal will ever take my place in your heart, but there is another one who needs you and who will grow to love you as much as I did.

I am at peace now and I no longer feel pain. You gave me a wonderful home and a happy existence on this earth.

So please be happy – go on with your life and give your love to others. Although I no longer share your world, I will always live in your heart and you in mine.