Honored Contributor

'A Capitol Fourth' Performances to Be Taped Again but Fireworks Live

[ Edited ]

‘A Capitol Fourth’ performances to be pretaped again with live fireworks

Valerie Bonk  WTOP News

“A Capitol Fourth” will return for its 41st annual celebration show, but the concerts will be pretaped again this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

However, like last year, the fireworks will be broadcast live. One difference is that crowds will return to the National Mall for Fourth of July fireworks to celebrate the nation’s 245th birthday.

Vanessa Williams, multiplatinum recording artist and a television, film and Broadway star, will host and perform during the show from D.C.

“I first performed on this national July 4 TV tradition in 2005, and it has always held a special place in my heart,” Williams said.

The concert will include musical performances from Jimmy Buffett, Cynthia Erivo, Gladys Knight, Jennifer Nettles, Alan Jackson, Pentatonix, Mickey Guyton, Ali Stroker, Jimmie Allen, Train, Laura Osnes and Auli’i Cravalho.

“As families and friends reunite and the country begins to open up this Fourth of July, we plan to bring you an exciting program with the greatest fireworks display in the nation, performances by the biggest stars and patriotic favorites,” said Executive Producer Michael Colbert.

“Make ‘A Capitol Fourth’ your Independence Day celebration. We have something for everyone’s party.”

The National Symphony Orchestra will perform John Williams’ composition “Olympic Fanfare” in tribute to Team USA, honoring the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic teams as they prepare for the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

The concert will honor members of the military and their families for their contributions to the nation and their dedication to service during the show.

PBS will air the show on Sunday, July 4, from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The program can also be heard on NPR member stations nationwide and will be streaming on Facebook, YouTube and on PBS' website.

[I was interested to see the lineup of stars for this year's celebration.  It does look like something for everyone.  If you are going to see the fireworks live in your own community, you can record the show to watch later, as many of us do.]

Valued Contributor

Re: 'A Capitol Fourth' Performances to Be Taped Again but Fireworks Live

This all seems uninspiring and not very patriotic to me. I don't recognize most of the performers either. Boring.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Going to DC for the outdoor Smithsonian folklife festival and the Capitol Fourth concert was always one of my favorite days of the year. I hope everything's back the same next year.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

This all seems uninspiring and not very patriotic to me. I don't recognize most of the performers either. Boring.

@Xivambala I sort of agree with you.  I wonder if they will have color guards from the miliatry branches?  Military bands, etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Above all, the occasion is patriotic.  So is the setting.  Much of the music will be the well-known patriotic songs most of us know and love.

What sparked much of my joy is that we are getting back (almost) to patterns that are familiar to us.

Honored Contributor

I support any broadcast, whether live or taped, that celebrates America.

Valued Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Above all, the occasion is patriotic.  So is the setting.  Much of the music will be the well-known patriotic songs most of us know and love.

What sparked much of my joy is that we are getting back (almost) to patterns that are familiar to us.

The setting is fine, but if the patriotic songs are from the above listed performers, then that is a big no from me. This holiday needs the military bands playing the patriotic standards that inspire us all.

Respected Contributor

It's going to take more than a few patriotic songs to inspire the country. 

Honored Contributor

I will be watching! Wish it could all be done live.

Respected Contributor

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Smithsonian folklife festival, it's really a great adult treat. It has a different theme every year but always consists of music and dance; cooking, sewing and crafts demonstrations; and lectures about unique topics of American culture. It's wonderful and free, but I wouldn't bring anyone under 16. Also, it's always hot and humid, and you need to carry something to sit on.

Next year: Get to the Capitol lawn by 9:00am and put your blankets down to save your space. No room left by 2:00pm. Go to the folklife festival on the mall. At 6:00pm eat dinner out or buy takeout, beverages and snacks and picnic on your blanket. 

You'll enjoy the whole Great American day and sleep well that night.