Honored Contributor

Re: A Blockbuster That Influences Girls to This Day!

[ Edited ]

Little Women was a great book.  I don't remember enjoying the author's other books particularly.  

My grade-school favorite books were the Little House on the Prairie books.  I still remember my beloved school librarian reading the story to us.

I read all of Nancy Drew's books but my favorite series was about five children having wonderful adventures by Enid Blyton.  My English grandmother and great-aunt would send me the books.  My oldest son loved those books, too.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

About two years ago, I was hospitalized for almost a week.  Lupus had attacked my left eye, the nerve bundle.  It's hard to read now, hard to keep the reading length focus going.  So I don't read fiction anymore, but I can read journal reports and most things online.  It's all that eye movement that makes it easier.  

@Noel7

I have reading issues too, though not as debilitating as yours I imagine. I can't do type on a page in a 350+ page book (the type I often used to read) any more. Kindles & the iPad help. I pretty much stopped reading for several years before I had cataract surgery and have never really gotten back into reading long novels, especially those in a series. I read out of one eye, and there are medical reasons that won't change. I now read non-fiction (which is much easier to pick up and put down at will and not lose your memory of plot and characters) which I've always enjoyed, and historical mysteries. Most historical novels are too long for me now, but I would like to tackle Wolf Hall at some point.

What is it with the new teeny tiny font?  Good lord, it's almost impossible to read a cookbook now @Moonchilde

That really ticks me off.

@Noel7, being able to enlarge font on the iPad and Kindle are my salvation. Thankfully, I rarely do cookbooks.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Noel7, thanks for enriching it with your comments!  I too love hearing about people's different literary tastes, and what was formative for them!

Respected Contributor

It's interesting what you take away from books.  In the Mike MARS novel they were up for the centerfuge test I believe and he voluntered to go first.. because he didn't want to be affected by watching anyone elses reaction.  I try to be the first volunteer for that same reason to this very day. Someone's got to go first, might as well be me.  Seems to make a good impression too.

Honored Contributor

tansy, I think I have faintly heard of Enid Blyton-- I am going to look her up.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

tansy, I think I have faintly heard of Enid Blyton-- I am going to look her up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famous_Five_(novel_series)

Honored Contributor

Would anyone be game for a History Lover's Corner in the Book forum?

Books and the films, mini-series and films made from them? Fiction and non-fiction - anything to do with history - which I would define as 1950 and older.  Actually, I personally would define it as 1920s and older but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Little Women was a great book.  I don't remember enjoying the author's other books particularly.  

My grade-school favorite books were the Little House on the Prairie books.  I still remember my beloved school librarian reading the story to us.

I read all of Nancy Drew's books but my favorite series was about five children having wonderful adventures by Enid Blyton.  My English grandmother and great-aunt would send me the books.  My oldest son loved those books, too.

I read some of the Little House books and enjoyed them. I suspect I stopped when the library only had so many of them and I never went on.

So many books we in the US weren't routinely exposed to. I never read or heard about Winnie the Pooh or Mary Poppins or the Blyton books as a child, or C.S. Lewis' trilogy. I've since learned of some from British or Canadian TV series. Anne of Green Gables has become my very favorite. When I got my new Blu-Ray player for my b/d it was the first one I bought.

Honored Contributor

That's a great idea, Moonchilde.

Speaking of British children's fiction, I remember reading some dynamite ballet books by a Brit.  Am wondering now if it was Noel Streatfield.

I never read Winnie the Pooh until my little boy came along.  It's very arch, but entertaining in small doses, ha.  Oh, and had never heard of "Curious George" but I read it out loud so often to him that we could both recite from memory before too long...

Respected Contributor

I read "Little Women" in 3rd grade, and our family went to Concord to see the Alcott's house.  I don't think it would have appealed to me in early adolescence, but I read it as a story of my region during the Civil War.  My Brownie troop all read it.

She was inspiring to me for many reasons.  Marmee had a temper, and Jo did too.  Everyone had lovable traits and not so nice traits.  It was my first taste of realism while reading books for kids.  And it was the first feminist book I ever read, and it impressed me with its picture of the strength of women to carry on despite their difficulties.  It's not a perfect book, but it was a totally inspiring  book to me as a kid.  LMA did good, imo.  My Brownie troop were all fans.