Honored Contributor

Have you ever wished you could travel back in time to a time when you were happy and relive it all over? From the age of 5-9 years old ( I have no memories before the age of 5), I lived in a project, what I didn't know back then, it was the happiest time of my life and I have fond memories of it. We didn't have much growing up, but neither did anyone else, we weren't jealous of anyone, we were all in the same boat. I had a lot of friends, loved school, and both grandmas were alive. There wasn't any money for summer camp, the highlight of the day was getting ice cream ( my mother would wrap the coins in foil and throw it out the window, she had terrible aim)!  Sitting here writing this, I didn't know at the time how good I had it. Now my grandmas are gone, my parents, and brother, I would give anything to have even one more day with them.

Honored Contributor

One time around was good enough for me.  I choose to do what I can to make my present and future the best it can be.

Honored Contributor

As a child, I had a great life.  I don't want to go back and relive it though, it only brings me back to now.  But I do love the memories.

Super Contributor

@Jordan2  It is wonderful that you have happy memories that you can look back on.  I wish I could say there is some part of my life that I would want to relive, but with the exception of youth itself, there is not.  

Honored Contributor

Re: A Better Time

[ Edited ]

With all this going on yes. DH already feels like we have gone thru a couple of time warps & have now we have gone thru another.

Guess I could go back to Canada, Hawaii, Texas or Florida all good times.

Honored Contributor

As a child up to the age of 18.  Many fond memories.  Most people say they don't remember much before the age of 5, but I do.

The economy was flourishing.  No social conflicts that were to follow.  All was well.  

Honored Contributor

I rarely was happy until I left my dysfunctional childhood home. Until I married my husband I had no real idea what it was like living a quiet, peaceful life. Since, that continues 45 years later, I look forward to the good days ahead..

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Have you ever wished you could travel back in time to a time when you were happy and relive it all over? From the age of 5-9 years old ( I have no memories before the age of 5), I lived in a project, what I didn't know back then, it was the happiest time of my life and I have fond memories of it. We didn't have much growing up, but neither did anyone else, we weren't jealous of anyone, we were all in the same boat. I had a lot of friends, loved school, and both grandmas were alive. There wasn't any money for summer camp, the highlight of the day was getting ice cream ( my mother would wrap the coins in foil and throw it out the window, she had terrible aim)!  Sitting here writing this, I didn't know at the time how good I had it. Now my grandmas are gone, my parents, and brother, I would give anything to have even one more day with them.

Not really. I think everyone who had a stable positive childhood remembers that time fondly. It wasn't the era that was so great, it was how supported you were and how open to the world and genuinely happy you were. The first time seeing a rose or feeling snow is breathtaking.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: A Better Time

[ Edited ]

Occasionally I wish I could see if some food item really tasted as good as I remember it, like taquitos at Tastee-Freeze, pastrami sandwiches at GoldStar, or pizza and salad at Domenico's.  You know...all the good stuff😜😋

But I much prefer life now than how it was back then.

Esteemed Contributor

I can relate to Trinity11. My comfort and friendship levels in life continue to increase since my 20s, so these are the best days for me. I do miss people who have passed and I miss my physical youthfulness. When I miss my adult children being young, I only have to look at their kids. I think my two kids who are parents are better parents than I was. My kids aren't complaining so I won't dwell on it. I'll just keep telling them what a good job they're doing.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau