Honored Contributor

A BIZARRE SHARK STORY---

[ Edited ]

ORIGINAL STORY:

SAN ANTONIO (KABB/WOAI) - It's a crime that has many people asking: Why would anyone want to steal a shark?

San Antonio Aquarium manager Jenny Spellman couldn't believe it. "Just absolute shock," Spellman said. "I couldn't believe that somebody would do something like that." The surveillance video revealed how three suspects inside the aquarium stole a horn shark. The suspects are seen scoping the place out. Minutes later, a man stuck his hand inside a tank, pulled the shark out and walked to the back.

Workers immediately noticed something wasn't right.

"Here's one of our employees right here who noticed something going on and immediately alerted management," Spellman said.

The suspects allegedly disguised the shark as a baby in a stroller. Salvaggio thought it was a joke. "They finally convinced me that it was true somebody had walked in and stole a shark out of [an] aquarium," Salvaggio said.

One of the suspects is seen taking off in a truck, leaving the woman and baby behind.

UPDATE: Leon Valley Police Chief Joseph Salvaggio said two suspects confessed to stealing a horn shark from the San Antonio Aquarium.

Salvaggio said the horn shark was returned to the aquarium in "very good condition." The next step, he said, is to acclimate "Ms. Helen" into the water.

"We are happy to get the shark back home," Salvaggio said.

Jamie Shank with the San Antonio Aquarium said they were not sure the horn shark was going to survive.

"She's a little fighter," Shank said. "She's a little survivor."

Authorities used the license plate of the truck to locate one of the suspects. Officials found the horn shark "thriving" in the home, because it appeared the suspects had experience working with these animals.

"Luckily the thief was someone who knew what he was doing," Salvaggio said.

Salvaggio said one of the shark theft suspects is 38 and could face felony charges. Right now, the suspects are facing charges for theft between $750 and $2,000.

The third suspect has not confessed and police are not sure if she will face charges, Salvaggio said.

The value of a horn shark is about $2,000, officials said.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: A BIZARRE SHARK STORY---

1sharke.gif

Trusted Contributor

The idiocy of some people never ceases to amaze me. Having worked in retail for 42 years, I can tell you people will steal anything. Especially professional shoplifters. If there's a market for something, they will steal it for you. But a shark! I thought I'd seen just about everything after all those years, but I guess not.

Honored Contributor

I saw the story on the news this morning.  Too bad the little fella didn't bite the guy that took him.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What a trio of blithering idiots!  I gather they needed money since the shark is worth two thousand dollars or maybe they just wanted to do something very stupid.  Either way I think they need to be fined for stealing the shark and I am glad the shark is doing well.  

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt What some people will go to to make a few bucks. They it had all planned out right down to the baby stroller. It was nice to see how excited the employees were to get her back!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in NJ I dealt with a small store which had high quality bird food and all things bird related including small birds on up to large parrots.

There was one parrot that was always out of its cage and chatting up a storm. Don't know if she was for sale or not but she was there for some time.

One day I went to get my parrot food and toys and there was a huge sign on the door that she had been stolen. Such a shame because parrots can't go to just anybody. They become a one person bird and boy can they bite. 

I don't think they ever got her back. But, stealing birds is quite common as is smuggling baby birds.

Regular Contributor

But why would anyone want to steal a shark - even for the value, weren't they afraid of being bitten?

Unbelievable for sure!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bridal_diva wrote:

But why would anyone want to steal a shark - even for the value, weren't they afraid of being bitten?

Unbelievable for sure!

@bridal_diva  @Mimi 1883  @spiderw

@NEvans2

One channel did a further update and said the guy that engineered it all had other sea creatures in his home (they didn't mention what kind--I wonder if they were also stolen????!!!)....and it appeared he didnt want to sell it, but add it to his "collection"..... real creepy!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

When I lived in NJ I dealt with a small store which had high quality bird food and all things bird related including small birds on up to large parrots.

There was one parrot that was always out of its cage and chatting up a storm. Don't know if she was for sale or not but she was there for some time.

One day I went to get my parrot food and toys and there was a huge sign on the door that she had been stolen. Such a shame because parrots can't go to just anybody. They become a one person bird and boy can they bite. 

I don't think they ever got her back. But, stealing birds is quite common as is smuggling baby birds.

@riley1

Sad very sad!