Respected Contributor

Re: A ☹️ reality today -- shopping malls

@homedecor1 wrote:

@noodleann 

I know Cherry Hill mall well ... most fondest memories were taking my niece (who lived in PA area) and my kids to see the beautiful Christmas displays.  

But,  the kids loved most and I can't remember the name but it was a toy store right in the middle of the mall.  Wow!  Those kids thought they had hit the jackpot -- toys and toys.

(I think this was before the Toys R Us opened).

Thanks for the memory!  

I remember a sort of indoor playground that my brothers and sisters loved. There were animals on big spring you could ride. I still remember the turtle. It was one of the few things that made me regret being older.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I miss going "downtown" to shop.  In and out of stores in fresh air instead of stale recycled mall air.

Stopping for lunch or a cup of coffee.

Even Rexall drug store had a full service restaurant in the back of the pharmacy. 

Malls were ok when they first opened but paying to park in some of them hurt business when other malls began opening with large outdoor free parking.

Anchor stores kept malls going for a lot longer but in the end online shopping was a nail in mall coffins; not always the final nail but close.

@Cakers3 

I hear you. I grew up in a smallish town in Pa. that had a downtown street maybe 6 blocks long filled with stores on both sides including 2 five & dimes which is what we called Woolworths and I think the other one was a Kresge, or maybe it was a Newberry. Also had 3 movie theatres and a variety of places to grab breakfast/lunch/dinner. And it was safe to walk anytime of day or evening. 

The best time was on a snowy night around Christmas when you could go into one of those five & dimes and visit Santa and if you had 10 cents he'd give you a little gift.

@shaggygirl   Oh yes we had Woolworths, Kresge, and Newberry too.  All three and another one locally owned.   We had a large dept. store display Christmas windows like the one in the movie "A Christmas Story".

Inside was Santa and he would give out candy canes.  Very original.  LOL

I think 3 movies theaters and there was a bowling "alley" as we called them under a buidling in the basement.  Back then they had "pin boys" to set up the pins. No automatic pin setters.

Gads, I'm really dating myself.  LOL

@Cakers3 

Your bowling alley comment rang a bell with me. I think my town had the same bowling alley in the basement. We must have grown up in identical twin towns! Did your town have a Coney Island? (small restaurant)

@shaggygirl   The hot dog restaurant?  We did have one. I remember the hot dog neon sign.  I don't remember what other food was served but we sure did snarf down those hot dogs!!!

It was the go-to for food after the dances.  Even McD's was a second choice.

@Cakers3 

Ours was known for both hot dogs & hamburgers. Ours was also good for sneaking out of high school during cafeteria time to get lunch......until the truant officer nabbed us. Did your town have "comfort stations"? These were small buildings w/bathroom facilities and sinks to wash your hands. Did the name of your town start with the letter S?

Respected Contributor

My local mall was facing trouble before the pandemic.  Many stores like Apple went to the newer mall not that far away which has more "upscale" stores and expensive restaurants.  We went to the mall on January 1st to walk around and I must say there were more people there than I have seen in a long time.  But stores are still closing.  We've lost Justice, Famous Footwear, American Girl Dolls (which I don't understand because that place was alway busy), 2 jewelery stores, Le Sur, Disney Store, Brookstone, and many more.  There was a Sears that closed several years ago and nothing has taken it's place yet.  I remember talkng with an employee at Dillards a year or so before the pandemic and he was really worried about all the store closures.  There were plans for the mall to update, "improve", and a park and some condos or something like that but I'm sure that's all on the back burner now, if it will happen at all.  To make it worse, the stores have no stock.  I guess shipping and getting resources is still a big problem.  I'm not a huge shopper.  I don't mind shopping on line but I do like to get out once a while and see and browse.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt   I didn't know Stein Mart closed.  It was always hit or miss for mie for clothes but they did have some great deals.

Luby had announced in Sept. 2020 about liquidating but the last I heard in Nov. was that the Board voted to remove Luby's from the stock exchange and selling off assets to generate over $120 mill.

I'm not sure of the status right now.  They also own Fuddruckers and that  one is also struggling.

The Pappas brothers of Pappas restaurants have been in some type of negotiations with Luby's but I don't know if anything has been solidified yet.  The Pappas brothers own roughly 30+ % of Luby's.

It could end up as Whataburger did, which sold its major ownership stake to an equity firm in Chicago.  Of course Whataburger is still up and running so if maybe Luby's end up in the same way.

@Cakers3 

I also liked Stein Mart---sad to see them go---I liked their clothes and home decor/accessories---they had good prices....  This was announced in August 2020---

Stein Mart announces it will close all 279 of its stores just one day after the off-price retailer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
  • All of Stein Mart's 279 stores are closing for good, a group of liquidators announced on Thursday.
  • The off-price retailer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Wednesday.
Aug 13, 2020

I haven't heard anything more about Luby's I hope someone buys them and keeps them going.....
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Deb213 

thank you! your synopsis is exactly the "memories & emotions" I was feeling!  My spouse was saying the same -- our kids would love to try on clothes and come out with the 👎🏻 or 👍🏻!  It was our family time once done getting their stuff it was off to the food court -- they'd pick.  

And yes you cant have these moments online -- one my sister reminded me buying my nieces communion dress.  A exciting day for all-- she thought she was a princess crown & all.

So glad we have such great memories! As they grew older it was Best Buy (never enjoyed spending hours in there) and they still kid me today how I waited outside until they needed cc😉

Someday the mall will come full circle, I hope!!!

@homedecor1 

Exactly! So many great memories and family times!I forgot about the communion dress! That was a fun day for us too. 

Laughing at your comment about Best Buy! Thankfully, I am kind of an electronics geek so I always loved going to Best Buy! I wasn't too crazy about waiting in the lines in the middle of the night for the latest gaming systems for my son back in the day. They would hand out numbers. There was no online shopping so you had to wait in lines and hope that you got a system to put under the tree for Christmas! But even those memories are now memories I treasure. 

I know there has been talk of eventually turning our mall into kind of an all in one kind of place. It would contain condos, apartments, offices, stores, restaurants, green spaces, etc. I think the concept could work and be successful. It's a long way down the road, but I would welcome it!

I hope you have a very Happy and healthy New Year!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm old enough to remember when malls destroyed downtown retail. Many were appalled and fruitlessly fought the change. Now malls are facing extinction. With all that's going on in the world, I think the transformation is unstoppable.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ninjawife 

Is that Christiana Mall?  I'd shop there eventhough lived in NJ when I wanted a high priced item especially Christmas time. 

I'm sure that mall is still booming as Delaware is a short ride for most.

@homedecor1 Yes

Honored Contributor

When I don't hit a mall at least once during the holiday season, it just doesn't feel like the holiday to me.  Sitting on my couch, behind a computer like I did this year, ordering gifts just doesn't seem right to me. 

I have no idea what every mall situation in my area has been like pre-holiday or now however, the week of Christmas I had to go to an appointment that took me past a mall called South Park in the Cleveland area and the traffic in the area was crazy and the parking lot at the mall was jammed full.  I pass a Target everyday on my way to work and it was pre-pandemic status for the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas.  I have been there outside the holiday season, on a Saturday and the store was really hopping.  I waited in line quite a long time to check out.   

Honored Contributor

Living on Long Island, the malls were packed during the holiday season, the few times I went. My daughter said the mall in Short Hills, New Jersey and Garden State Plaza were also packed.

I will continue to shop in malls until I am unable to walk. I like the exercise and prefer in person shopping to sitting behind a computer and having to wait days for deliveries. 

Honored Contributor

I went to the mall over the holiday to get into the Christmas spirit because I was feeling down.  When I got home my DH asked if I felt better and I said to him no, I am more depressed.  The mall was empty, no decorations were up, no Santa (which I understand why) and no Christmas music.  On top of that many of the stored closed.