Honored Contributor

Re: A ☹️ reality today -- shopping malls

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1   I agree, but my big mall and many others were headed down that path before COVID. Many stores had closed or were in Chapter 11. The newer and more convenient way to shop is online...saves time and there's more selection of merchandise and sizes. 

The pandemic and financial devastation only added to the problems the stores were experiencing. 

Honored Contributor

While its sad for the employee's I do not feel the least bit sorry for the large stores.  They did this exact some thing to the Mom & Pop Stores of the past.  What goes around comes around.

Covid is not to blame, stores started the downhill slide a few years ago.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I can not remember the last time I was in a mall. It is sad the changing of our landscapes. First internet shopping hit brick and mortar stores now Covid.  

Honored Contributor

That sounds like a sad trip to the mall...I do not shop much online - we were at our mall (aout an hour away) last week.   It was a bit quiet as well...I hope it does not close, for the sake of the employees as well as the local economy.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I do not accept this as the new normal.  Won't give into that.  That would be setteling to me.  Maybe in time that harsh reality will set in, but I'd rather fight!!! 

@qualitygal   I agree with you 100%.  This is not the new normal.  Malls have been dying for awhile.  It has nothing to do with Covid.  Too many are using that term "THe New Normal"  Way too often.    There is nothing normal about this.  When the Pandemic is over things will return to what they were.   I think some love living in doom and gloom.  I am grateful where I live that life is pretty much the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

Can't imagine going to one now.  There is one I can drive to.  Sort of wonder it will be there later.  

Honored Contributor

The online revolution spearheaded by Amazon, killed malls.  It didn't need any COVID19.  People just stopped shopping in person.  You can buy anything you want through online shopping.  The only risk is the Post Office.  But no problem with Amazon shipping, UPS, etc.  I haven't been to a mall in over 3 years.

Honored Contributor

Malls have gone down recently but also New Years Day or around that time is a "s l o w" time in all stores since we just had Christmas.  Traditionally, people are still cleaning up, they're tired, and they're not going to go out to see the same items.

It has been said malls will be repurposed into living spaces and restaurants, although, some stores will make it.

Honored Contributor

The mall nearest me has the largest food court in the city. In fact before the pandemic hit the food court was primarily why people went to the mall...to eat. But sadly many of those restaurants have closed and most will not reopen, taking a huge toll on mall shoppers as a whole. It's a grim situation for malls these days and the future for them doesn't look bright.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Our office was shutdown Dec 6th for 2 weeks.  Another thorough cleaning due to covid19. On Dec 5th a couple of us went to have lunch at Luby's. We went late to avoid crowds and sadly it was very empty. 

We went back Monday and Luby's has a "Thank you for the 20 years of patronage" on their sign. The Luby's in my hometown closed a few months ago. 

And January 4th, we are back to working from home. This time it's just a precaution. They want to avoid any positives in the office because of Christmas gatherings. 

We go back on the 20th since the 18th and 19th are State Holidays.

I worked at Luby's Cafeteria when I lived in Houston.(This was years ago.) Are all of them closing now? Luby's always had a lot of customers; it's a shame if they're all forced to go out of business. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain