Honored Contributor

Re: 900,000 Bikers honor POW/MIA Memorial Day weekend

@granddi wrote:

I'm going to say something that will not be favored but here goes.

My husband is a Vietnam Vet and our parents are WWII vets so we understand honoring our service members. We were in DC during Rolling Thunder one Memorial Day Weekend and it is miserable. They occupy the main streets and it makes crossing and walking a real pain. The displays on the mall are nice but the constant noise and roar of the bike engines and the blocking of traffic goes on for hours. 

@granddi

Yep, you are right. This is what, 1-2-3 days? I don't know that answer, but to me this is Memorial Day Weekend. For their show of support for our fallen soldiers/warriors, I  certainly will give this large group their due. To me, that is not them and their machines making noise(one that I happen to love), or slowing down my commute on this Holiday.

Don't know where you live, but in our neck of our real woods, there is not a smidgen of the traffic there is on any given week day or weekend.

These women and men we honor gave their lives so we can drive when and where we please, and any time we wish. Don't know if you have ever been in a simulated war environment, but I have, and some think these Harley's are noisy? Can't even fathom the noise these warriors experienced on their battlefield, but I was around some of it, and many would pray for only the gruff sound of a Harley engine.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I would think with those numbers, there has to be many

'questionable' club affiliations.  They have that forcefield

of 'America' & 'POW', but pull back the curtain

and there's some pretty ugly, illegal activities.

@sidsmom

There is bad in a lot of good things and acts. I prefer seeing what this group represents, not each individual facet or individual that participates in it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

If you read my earlier post:  I come from a family of bikers.

Sure, there are well-meaning folks.  And some that are not.  And some just like to party with a crowd.

That is true anywhere, regardless of vehicle.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Now this is America! A coming together for a real cause. A tribute of real value. Love to see it. I have a lot of faith that we still got it. That some of us still get it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I would think with those numbers, there has to be many

'questionable' club affiliations.  They have that forcefield

of 'America' & 'POW', but pull back the curtain

and there's some pretty ugly, illegal activities.

@sidsmom

More profiling.

People like you still think of all motorcycle groups as being affiliated with the the 'biker gangs' and their illegal activities.

So not true in this day and age. Sure, the 'gangs' still exist and I'm sure they still conduct illegal activity, but the are many 'biker' groups that are not like that at all.

My sister (67) and DH are members of a Harley group who participate in many 'charity rides' to raise money for many charities.

They were in DC........

I belong to a club also.  Most are retired Doctors, nurses, attorneys, millitary and police.  Don't profile. Edited to add , Three are air traffic controlers.