Esteemed Contributor

Re: 900,000 Bikers honor POW/MIA Memorial Day weekend

Wonderful display of Patriotism

Respected Contributor

I also look forward to the sound of the Rolling Thunder every year. Live very close to a main road that feeds into the Pentagon so make it a point to have my windows open to hear them. Many years I have gone to one of the major interstates that is closed for a period of time on Sunday and is dedicated to Rolling Thunder. Have to say it is a very emotional and moving experience. I have also visited Arlington Cemetery the day of their parade to see the flags on the graves. Another moving experience. For me, this is what Memorial Day is about.
Honored Contributor

I would think with those numbers, there has to be many

'questionable' club affiliations.  They have that forcefield

of 'America' & 'POW', but pull back the curtain

and there's some pretty ugly, illegal activities.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm pretty sure the numbers are exagerated.  I was in DC in January when 500,000 people showed up.  900,000 would have shut down the city- especially if there were that many bikes involved.

Doesn't sound like there have been any issues with Rolling Thunder over the years, so I'll assume those who show up have the best intentions.

Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy

What an awesome post and experience, I envy you! Heart

We have several military bases where we live and one has a 'Warriors Walk' on base, where a tree is planted in honor of each soldier from this base, with a plaque of their name, who died in battle.

Local florists were offering reduced price carnations to anyone who wanted to place them on 'Warriors Walk', so DH & I took carnations and placed them there.

It was a very poignant moment for us.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I am the proud daughter of a WW II Vet and 3 brothers who are vets and are retired and now my son serves as he is also a full time college student. My SO and I are also avid motorcycle riders and this is on our "to do" list, and to ride to the wall one day. 

I would think people would not feel " inconvenienced " by a few days of noise and motorcycle riders considering my dad spent 2 weeks in a fox hole and had 1 piece of bacon to eat in that 2 week period!! I bet my dad didn't feel inconvenienced,and if he did, he NEVER voiced it! That's all I'm gonna say! Some people are ridiculous! Time to leave this thread! It's way too noisy here! 😠

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom

More profiling.

People like you still think of all motorcycle groups as being affiliated with the the 'biker gangs' and their illegal activities.

So not true in this day and age. Sure, the 'gangs' still exist and I'm sure they still conduct illegal activity, but the are many 'biker' groups that are not like that at all.

My sister (67) and DH are members of a Harley group who participate in many 'charity rides' to raise money for many charities.

They were in DC........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rolling Thunder and Marine Staff Sargent Tim Chambers..  this will definitely bring a tear to your eye........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIFT7xgweBk

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom

More profiling.

People like you still think of all motorcycle groups as being affiliated with the the 'biker gangs' and their illegal activities.

So not true in this day and age. Sure, the 'gangs' still exist and I'm sure they still conduct illegal activity, but the are many 'biker' groups that are not like that at all.

My sister (67) and DH are members of a Harley group who participate in many 'charity rides' to raise money for many charities.

They were in DC........

@KingstonsMom  Thank you! My thoughts exactly! I can think of a lot of "clubs" where there are illegal activities going on, and they're not riding motorcycles! 😳🤔

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom

More profiling.

They were in DC........

@KingstonsMom  Thank you! My thoughts exactly! I can think of a lot of "clubs" where there are illegal activities going on, and they're not riding motorcycles! 😳🤔

Cant remember a year when biker gangs over Memorial Day Weekend were involved in crime here.  Unless filling up our local restaurants is a crime....😂