Respected Contributor

Re: 9/3 Midwest 5.6 Earthquake!

I am in Indiana and this morning on the news it said some people here felt it!  Wow!  I wish they would stop fracking in OK - I've heard that is the problem.  Y'all stay safe!  Last earthquake I felt here in Indiana was several years ago, back to back 5.0 quakes - I hate them!  They scare the ****** out of me!

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@LTT1

Bless your heart....you must have been dog-tired...deep asleep!!

On Twitter, someone from Denton is saying "my dogs were barking!" 

Love how animals are so intuitive.

I've heard dogs can tell before it is felt or heard! I pray everyone is safe and damage to the areas was minimal! I live on a fault, but we have never felt one! However, we were on vaca at the Cape. My ds got a call from his office here at home. While he was talking to them he heard yelling and crashing and the line went dead. They were feeling the effects of a quake centered over 300 miles south of them! Not sure who will have "the big one" first, California or us!?!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

@Beccaboone2 wrote:

"60 Minutes" did a story last year (I believe) regarding fracking, earthquakes, and Oklahoma specifically.  Oklahoma now has considerably more earthquakes than any other state.  Scary. 

Fracking is causing troubles. I think we're going to regret ever allowing it.

Hope all are safe out there.

Honored Contributor

I just finished reading an explanation of the reason for the quake and it wasn't fracking.  What they're doing is putting waste water from drilling back into the ground very deep, below the water table.  For some reason, this activity caused the earthquake.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm in Topeka, Kansas and it rocked me right out of bed.  My cat went nuts, also!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just finished reading an explanation of the reason for the quake and it wasn't fracking.  What they're doing is putting waste water from drilling back into the ground very deep, below the water table.  For some reason, this activity caused the earthquake.

@Kachina624 please know my reply is not directed at yours in any way but as someone said earlier "it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature" . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I am in Indiana and this morning on the news it said some people here felt it!  Wow!  I wish they would stop fracking in OK - I've heard that is the problem.  Y'all stay safe!  Last earthquake I felt here in Indiana was several years ago, back to back 5.0 quakes - I hate them!  They scare the ****** out of me!

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FRACTURING.  THAT IS A FACT.  It is residual water that is ancient sea water and comes up with oil and gas production.  There is usually a lot more water than oil, so it is separated.  It is this ancient water that is injected back from the production, not the well drilling that involves fracturing formations.  At this point, the water is too  salty and comtaminated from the ancient seas to be cleaned and used.   Maybe some day. 

The water is injected back far below any ground water that is used for municipal and drinking purposes too. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Kachina624

Here's a good article explaining.

I'm sure there will be many different POV on this subject.

The part of the article which scared me was:

"The quake’s epicenter was roughly 25 miles north of Cushing, Okla., one of the world’s major oil hubs. The town holds some 64 million barrels of crude in about 400 massive, aboveground tanks."

Wow...if 64MM barrels of crude broke loose, that would be bad. 

Really bad.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/earthquake-shakes-swath-of-midwest-from-missouri-to-oklahoma-1472906357

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Thanks @Kachina624

Here's a good article explaining.

I'm sure there will be many different POV on this subject.

The part of the article which scared me was:

"The quake’s epicenter was roughly 25 miles north of Cushing, Okla., one of the world’s major oil hubs. The town holds some 64 million barrels of crude in about 400 massive, aboveground tanks."

Wow...if 64MM barrels of crude broke loose, that would be bad. 

Really bad.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/earthquake-shakes-swath-of-midwest-from-missouri-to-oklahoma-1472906357

Thanks for this @sidsmom but for me I had to be a subscriber to the WSJ to read the article.

Personally, I find all of this drilling/injecting/whatever frightening.   For me (admittedly the unwashed masses) we are slowly fracturing our planet and my fear is not only for the areas that are currently involved in this process but also how does that effect known earthquake prone areas?  Is all of this new technology placing additional pressure on areas that are already known to be prone to being unstable?

Trusted Contributor

Sidsmom, we are in Dallas also and we woke to shakes this morning also.  Scared the bleep out of me.  Crazy stuff across our country..