Esteemed Contributor

9/11 Anniversary tomorrow 2018

I was just thinking about that awful day!!   My son and I were eating breakfast before each of us headed off to work.  

Watching TV, at first we thought it was a show/movie attraction.  Soon realized it was in real time!!  We were so upset and glued to the TV.  Neither of us went to work that day.....

Thought of prayers and peace for all those caught up in that horrible disaster.....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary tomorrow 2018

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting this.....it was a day that most of us will never forget, and I know all of us can remember where we were when we heard about what was happening. All those horrible images of the Twin Towers falling and that huge cloud of debris enveloping everyone in its path. And the images of the Pentagon....and hearing about the plane going down in the field. Bless all of the survivors and their families, the families of those whose lives were lost and the memories of their loved ones. May we never forget.

Honored Contributor

1280px-Wtc-2004-memorial.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Words can't say how awful that day was. I was emailing my Mom back and forth about it most of the day. It was all so surreal. Later that day I took my dog for a walk in a park and just sat there and cried some more. The flag was lowered and there were no planes flying overhead in that park like there usually were.

My dog is gone, and my Mom is now gone. Every year she and I used to talk about that day on the anniversary. She bought me a God Bless America needlepoint pillow shortly after 9/11. I was just looking at that pillow a couple of days ago. And crying thinking about that day, and my Mom.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and I will never forget that day. I was lucky enough not to have lost anyone close to me. My brother worked in Manhattan ( he has since passed), my parents and I were so worried about him not hearing from him for many hours. He finally made it home safely. I remember I was food shopping, my parents were at the eye doctor. I came home and put the tv on and I had no signal ( the signal was probably coming from the towers), I thought my mother had done something to the set. I was finally able to get CBS to work as they had a signal coming from The Empire State Building. I then saw the horror of what happened, I couldn't believe it. My mother was able to call me from the doctor's office where I was able to give them updates of what was happening. I watch the ceremony every year as I feel it's the least I can do, to honor all those that lost their lives that day by hearing each and every name.

Honored Contributor

I worked very close to the WTC so close that I was going to my office as the second plane flew over my head, I was in the Battery Tunnel when the 1st plane hit. I got in and found a message from my Mom and the account rep I worked at with who was from Missouri, the both wanted to know what was going on, and how I was. I remember everything that happened as if it was yesterday.

We stayed in our office until about 2 pm, and planned to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and go to my bosses sons house. We were able to catch a shuttle bus across the bridge and from there we got another bus to our area of Brooklyn. I was with a young girl who lived not to far from me. Her had picked us up some where after Church Ave.

I was calm until I got home and then I did not stop crying for a week. I remember I had worn sandles that day and changed to a pair of closed shoes, which did a job on my feet, they were full of shoot and dust when I got home and they stayed that way for months, before I could touch them,

My hubby could not get home I was lucky to have a friend stay with me or I am not sure how I would of been.

Seventeen years later I still shake thinking about the day. Strange thing we stayed right across for the Freedom Tower last week and my mind was filled with thoughts of 9-11.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

My friend Gina worked at the second tower on the 44th floor.  She did not go to work that day as we were leaving for Los Angeles the next morning.  Needless to say, that never happened.

17 years later, when watching some old movies/TV shows filmed in NYC, a vision of the towers can be seen in the background and it still takes my breath awayWoman Sad

One of our local firefighters just died a few weeks ago from an 9/11 related illness.  He was there to assist in the clean up.

Honored Contributor

I am sure most people remember where they were on that horrible day....I had gone shopping about an hour from my home to pick up some things for a few days away with girl friends...I sat in a parking lot listening to the news trying to understand what was going on....I finished up my shopping and started driving home...got lost as I was so intent on listening to the radio!  

I cried to my husband that I did not want to go away that weekend but he insisted I go.....we were heading to an art festival and when we (girl friends) got to our location the vendors were sure no one would show up for the show.....I still remember watching tv and and just crying over what had happened, still brings tears to my eyes.

Respected Contributor

Sitting at work in Frederick MD listening to the radio on my desk, wondering where that 4th plane was?  God bless those brave souls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was on my way to school when my DD called me, crying. She said "its one of ours!" over and over....I had no idea what she was talking about. She worked for American Airlines....then she told me what was happening and I turned on the car radio. None of us will ever forget where we were when it happened...my nephew was in NYC on business in a hotel just a few blocks away and was asleep after a late flight...he said he fell out of bed from the compression of the explosion...we must remember everyone touched by that day. So many lost loved ones...but all of our lives were impacted and still are each time we go through a security check at a ball game or take off our shoes at an airport....