Respected Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

@SaRina

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I was working at a thoroughbred yearling sale in KY and was standing in the shedrow preparing for the lookers to start coming in to see the horses.  Saw it on the T.V. that was behind me, the T.V. that showed the morning news before it switched to the auction ring.

Honored Contributor

On the 51st Floor of an office building four blocks from WTC.  We went to the windows when we heard the first plane hit ... and were standing there watching as the second plane hit.

They evacuated us ... had to walk down 51 floors ... no buses or subway transportation ..... had to walk home.  A co-worker was with me - both of us going to my apt about 1.5 miles from office.

We were about four or five blocks north of the WTC when we heard a rumbling behind us, turned and saw the first tower crumble ... it was surreal ... we were in a real life horror movie.  

A friend was a child in Dresden, Germany, when the British were bombing the city and remembers her mother carrying her down to the basement for shelter.  She remembers it like it was yesterday.  I know exactly how she feels.  For me, 9/11 was yesterday.

Respected Contributor

I worked as a legal liaison between the Morris Cnty Prosecutors office and the Sheriffs Office in NJ. We were just starting a typical meeting with the Warden at our location and we had the TV on. All h. broke loose as Morris Cnty is the center hub for the state's emergency management command center. So between fielding calls from the Gov's office and the State AG I was wondering what was going on in my town and with my family. My SIL Dad's company is under contract to provide on call 24/7 for demolition and recovery for the tristate area. Her Dad happened to be in Hoboken on the waterside and saw the planes hit the towers.As he was on the phone with her.  He would later die from complications (breathing in the fumes) from working on the 9/11 site. My town lost  18 people who never came home that night. We have several of the infrastructure beams placed as memorials at local parks in our town and in our houses of worship. So it is a constant reminder of that day for many of us. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political

Respected Contributor

Working in Frederick MD at the time ... talking to a co-worker, and someone announced the 1st plane hitting ... shrugged it off as a terrible accident, then heard the news of 2nd plane.  

Listened on my radio at my desk as they were searching for Flight 93 .... unwittingly, this plane would have flown 'in our region' as it headed toward D.C.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Home getting ready to leave for work when my daughter called that a plane had hit one of the towers.  We were still unsure if it was an accident.

When I got to work I went straight into my boss's office who had the TV on.  I sat on the floor as the towers fell, completely in disbelief.  My boss and I just looked at each other.  He had tears streaming down his face.  There were no words.  I felt frozen.

We all thought there was going to be a war.  Of course it's something one never, ever forgets.

ETA:  I am also old enough to have witnessed (on TV) JFK's assassination as well.  I saw Walter Cronkite take off his glasses as he announced the President was dead for the first time.  I had just had my second child.  I loved JFK and cried for many years every time they showed that family prior to and after the assassination.  I didn't know much about politics in those days . . . to me it was the end of "Camelot."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I was at work, at the same university where I had been a freshman when JFK was killed years before. My assistant's mother called to say a plane had hit the World Trade Center. At first we thought it was an accident. We went over to the campus store where they had a large TV. That's when the enormity of the tragedy sunk in. My daughter and my brother were in Manhattan and it took hours until we found out they had gotten home safely. We will never forget that day.

Honored Contributor

Fifteen years later I still can't talk about it. Rest in peace to all the people lost that day and prayers for the survivors.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was working away in my home office.  It was a gorgeous late-summer day.  I had Fox & Friends with Steve, Brian, and ED on in the background.  I remember seeing film of the World Trade Center on the screen and then noticing a plane going into the building.  It took me a couple of minutes to realize what was going on and longer to understand that it was a terror attack.  In the months after that, I believed that life would never be the same again after the anthrax scare with the mail and the reports of bomb threats against bridges I had to travel over for work.  Happily, that was not the case, but they have not done all they should have done to keep us safe.