Valued Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

I was asleep and my mom called and said "All H*ll had broken loose".  I immediately turned on TV and watched in horror.  Later that morning I had an appointment to look at some tile and the people there were watching TV too.  Several had family in New York City.  I think we were all numb.  I remember feeling very frightened.

A friend and I went to my church the next day and had prayer. I think a lot of people went to church that Sunday! Wish they hadn't stopped after a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

A day I or any of us will never forget...

I live in CA and I was in bed with my husband.  He would normally be up at 5:30 AM however this day, he had taken a vacation day and we planned on sleeping in.

We woke up with the sound of phone ringing off the hook...

It was my friend Mary, She said,  "Hurry turn on the TV the United States is under attack".  My husband, is like what is going on?  I said, "OMG hurry turn on the TV". What we saw...Was "Mind Blowing"...I will never forget it.

We see the the "North Tower" on fire...And the carnage that was unfolding was unreal.

We sat there in bed in watching in disbelief...

I then looked at my husband with tears in my eyes and said, "OMG where is my brother, John"?   He was in Boston...He was going to be flying out of Logan on 9/11 heading back to PA".  

I picked up the phone and I called my parents back in PA and asked, my Mom "Have they heard from John"?  My Mom said, "No why"?  I said, " Mom turn on the TV the United States is under attack".  She was in the kitchen with my Dad having breakfast.  She turned on the TV and I can hear my Dad, "OMG, OMG"!  My Mother started to cry.  She said, "Where is John"?  I said, "He is in Boston".  "He was to fly out of Logan Airport this morning"...

We then saw the second plane, flying into the South Tower...We were numb in disbelief...Speachless...

My phone was ringing off the hook.  I have four other brothers and everyone in the family was calling me asking, "Have I heard from brother John"...?  No one heard from him...

My phone rang around 2:30 PM Pacific Time...It was my brother John.  He was safe and was at the airport, he had been in line for hours trying to rent a car.  He received the last car on the lot. It took him 12 hours to drive back to PA.

Everyone, in my family was now accounted for and safe.

I knew "We" the United States, was going to be at WAR...

My other brother was in the United States Air Force...

He had a wife and 2 little babies...What was going to happen next?  

These were the thoughts rolling thru my head, my mind...

What is next?

May "We"  "Never Forget"...

All the Fallen...

Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Sons, Daughters, Grandsons, Granddaughters, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Friends...

And all of our "Miltery Service Men and Women", who   fought in the WAR to protect our "Freedom"!

May God Bless Them...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were vacationing in Vermont.  The television reception was not very good in the isolated area, so we watched it happening through the 'snow' covered screen.

We knew people who worked near the towers, so we were very relieved to learn they were okay.

Edited to add - My son was in Spain on business when this happened.  When he got home he told us that the people of Spain were absolutely wonderful to him and the other Americans working with him.  They expressed sympathy, took them to their homes for meals and wanted to be supportive in any way they could.

Esteemed Contributor

I was coming down a mountain in NJ which had a beautiful view of the NY skyline - saw all the smoke then heard the radio news! I had a junior in college in PA and a freshman in college in DC - they were scared.

The one in DC had a lockdown on her campus and when they could finally go out, there was military all over the place. 

A scary time for sure.

Super Contributor

I live in California so it was the 6am hour when it happened. I got up that morning and turned on the radio. It said that a plane hit the World Trade Center.......I thought it was a small plane with one person. I had no idea it was an actual commercial airline plane until I turned on the TV later.

At the time, I worked in a large hotel and they actually set up a TV in the lobby to watch for any updates. Guests could not check out that had to go to the airport due to no planes running. In the office, we always had the radio on but that day it was mostly news coverage instead of music. What a day Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I was a the university. Then emails started to pop up. I was confused and scared.  My husband was trying call me, but could't get through.   I didn't have my car then.  School suddenly closed and I took the shuttle back.  Meanwhile my husband was driving all over the place to find me. 

Respected Contributor

I was at work treating a patient. We did not have a TV at the office. Around 9 my front desk girl whose husband was a cop said that he called and said that a plane just hit the building. My immediate thought was a terrorism, it was no doubt in my mind .

My boss was a certified pilot said that if it is an accident,it is a strange one because it is no fly space. 

And after we found out about the second plane we just cancelled all patients and went home. I went to my daughters school and took her home, she was in 10 th grade.

It was one of the worst days of our lives, just the same as deaths in the family.

I have a hole in my heart forever. Every weekend when I drive to the City( my mom lives there) I still search for the buildings with my eyes......

Honored Contributor

Still sitting in the same chair in the same office on the same 10th floor of the building in my home town and listening to the same cable news program as I am while typing this post.  I was shocked and stunned while listening especially when the second plane hit.  When they announced the first plane I just assumed it was a tragic accident then with the second plane I knew we were under attack.  After a few I hours went home and watched on television and cried.

I had a few clients in the days to come who refused to come up the elevator to see us so I would have to go down to the lobby on the lowest level to meet with them.  Most got over the height issue very soon.

I am still shocked and amazed this happened to our country.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I worked in lower Manhattan at the time.  As some people here noted, it was a spectacular and mild September morning with the most brilliant blue sky, not a cloud anywhere. We were just about to enter Building 7 (adjacent to the Towers) for a breakfast meeting.

We saw the first plane hit and thought it was a small plane accident.  Crowds gathered in the street, looking upwards.  When the billows of smoke cleared for a second, you could see the outline of a very large plane – you could see the entire wing span cutting across the building in a gaping hole -- and that’s when people started muttering about some other intent.

People were waving pieces of white material from windows above the fire and smoke, and that day, I saw bodies falling from those windows.

We had started walking away, talking about getting home, and were a few blocks north when the first Tower fell.  The collapse resulted in a huge and powerful smoke plume that violently pushed itself up the street.  Throngs of people began to run to escape the onslaught of smoke and debris.  We were too close and couldn’t outrun it.  We quickly rolled under some cars for protection.  On the street, sirens were blaring, people were screaming, choking, crying.

When the dust settled, we got up and joined others walking towards the west side of Manhattan.  People were completely covered in white soot, some bleeding, all in a zombie-like state.  The air was acrid.  It smelled of fuel, scorched metal, burned debris... and death. We were able to get a ferry to New Jersey and eventually got home.

A couple of weeks later, I went to Union Square (14th Street in Manhattan) where a makeshift memorial had been set up in the square.  Photos of the victims were posted as well as the missing.  People walked around holding up photos of their loved ones who they were still looking for.  When you see the faces of the people (so many people) who you know were lost in this most horrific way, there is an indescribable grief that cuts through your very soul.  It was too much for me and I completely broke down, sobbing uncontrollably as I crumpled to the sidewalk.  Someone came over and put his arm around me.  We just looked at each other – there were no words to be said.  I cried every day for months thereafter. 

This is a very difficult time of year for me -- I still have survivor's guilt -- and I’m starting to cry as I type.  I pray that our children and grandchildren have a better world to inherit.  May God bless all those who lost their lives that day, their loved ones, and the first responders.

Respected Contributor

I was home.  I was up several times throughout the night because of a teething baby - she was kind of fussy all night.

My husband called me about 9 am and wanted to know what was going on.  I had no idea.  I put on the Today Show and watched in horror as the first tower was in flames. 

Matt and Katie were trying to keep it together on air as all this information was coming in slowly.

I actually saw the second tower get hit live.  When the towers fell, I was really in shock.

My neighbors were in and out of our house all day.  I think we kept the TV on straight for days.