Respected Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

I was at home ironing and I was just frozen I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing.

A friend of ours was in one of the towers and she made it out.

4 men carried her down the stairs because she couldn't walk down the stairs.

Bless them!

On some nights we could smell the fire from there even though we were 45 minutes or so away from the city.

That is how strong it was.

Honored Contributor

Home putting on panty hose for work.  Saw the image of where the first plane hit and said to self "Dang those (insert explative of your own) came back to get it. 

Made NO sense to me the minute they said a plane hit it and I thought that.  Knew for sure when I saw the hole.  Makes NO sense a plane would hit that building by accident.  Saw the second plane hit (sitting on bed, one leg in hose) then got dressed, rushed to work and heard it collapsed on the way. 

It was a sick feeling knowing life would never be the same here. 

Honored Contributor

I was at work and we gathered by the tv so we could watch the coverage. We were all very unsettled of course and they told us we could go home if we wanted. Which is what I did. And then I watched the coverage from home. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I had the day off and was supposed to take my Grandmother to a doctor's appointment.  She called me and told me "Somebody" blew up the Pentagon.  Beyond frightening.

Super Contributor

I was at home getting ready for work.  When I saw the first plane hit the building I thought it was an accident. When the second plane hit I knew it was something awful. I worked in a party store. By Friday we were busy selling RWB decorations. Everyone wanted to show their american pride. 

Super Contributor

9/11 is the first truly horrible event I remember happening. I was 20 and pregnant with my first baby who was due September 16th. I woke up that morning and turned on the tv just as the news was reporting a plane had hit the tower, they weren't sure what was happening yet. I woke up my husband just as the second plane hit the tower and we watched as the rest of the horrible day continued. They closed everything in the area and we went to the doctor for our last scheduled pregnancy appointment. I remember thinking that the world would never be the same and I was bringing my baby into the new scary world. I was so relieved when the doctor said our daughter wasn't ready to be delivered, I didn't want that to be her birthday. She was born a few days later, it makes me so sad that my kids will only know a post 9/11 world.
Honored Contributor

I was living in CT at the time and at work.  Everyone was in the office working and one person yelled what had happened.  We talked about it most of the day.

Super Contributor

I was teaching assistive technology skills to students with traumatic brain injuries.  We were not in the habit of having a tv or radio on. My co-workers husband called and told us the news.  Some of my students wnated to talk about what was going on.  One of my students only wanted to show my her power point of her trip to DisneyWorld.  I felt like I spent the day balancing reality with the surrealness of the days events.  I remember it was the most beautiful day- not a cloud in the sky.  it was hard to reconcile the beauty of the day with the tragedy that had occured.  I periodically stopped watching tv that night because it was just too much to take in.  I remember laying in bed next to my husband that night and I felt very scared- anything comforting you'd say to each other just didn't seem like enough.  I went to the corner store the next morning and every customer and the store clerk looked like they were in a daze-earrily quiet.  I noticed all the bottled water was gone.I had to go through my stages of grief- I cried, I asked God why ( I did not blame god), I got angry, I grew cautious, watching every plane overhead, I prayed. I remember going to a wedding and reception later that month for a co-worker.  It was good to get togeher with people and SMILE again.  It felt like everyone at that wedding felt the same way. And I went through those stages many times.  I have kept to a promise I made myself around that time. No matter what, my neices and nephews and my husband all get an "I love you" from me every day.

Honored Contributor

I wrote this on the 10th anniversary, which have always been difficult for me, as you will read it was a day that hit way to close to home, sorry this is so long

When I look back on that infamous day I think back to the weekend before, my other half and I returned from a cruise, I had wanted to go out on deck and see the skyline as we arrived in the City, his reply was you have seen it 100s of times before, little did we both know that three days later it and our lives would be changed forever.

The experiences of September 11, 2001 changed my life forever. I lived all the way out Brooklyn and was working at 26 Broadway at the time, the same job but I had a real office On September 11, 2001.

My Express Bus was just left the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel when one of the passengers got a called a plane had crashed in to the Trade Center.  Traffic as almost at a stand still but we were able to get out of the tunnel. When we were out of the tunnel we were able to see the Tower burning, the driver let us exit the bus, since he had no idea when traffic was going to start to move, there were people running in all directions.

I was about 3 blocks south of the WTC when the 2nd plane hit. I heard a massive explosion and felt the shards of glass and paper. Its funny that is the one of the few sounds I recall of that day, my memory has seemed to block all the sounds from that day out of my mind.
I was able to make it to my office about 2 blocks away. When I got there I started piece together what had occurred, we were essentially under terrorist attack. I sat at my desk unable to move for a long time. I called my loved ones to let them know I was OK. My husband who works for the Federal Gov. was on high alert, we was both to crazed and to busy at the time to even hear my story.

My boss, myself and our intern Danielle, all sat in out office on the corner of Broadway and Beaver and heard the implosion of the first tower and then say the clouds of black smoke that filled the air, about an hour later we heard the same again.

I spent much of that day on the phone with my Mom and my editor who lives in North Carolina and on line with a cousin when was in school up in Saratoga. We had power but no air conditioning, it had been shut down as not to bring in the debris. The other side west side of the street had no power at all.
We finally left the area at about 2 PM, it was a surreal ghostly site, and ash covered streets. One or two lone people walking aimsley a few Govt agents with jackets ID'ing them as to their agency and Police Offices very solemn doing the best they could to keep up the good fight.

We walked down Water Street to the Brooklyn Bridge, thinking we would walk over it and then end up at my bosses sons house. We were lucky that NYC was running buses over the Bridge, we got to the other side, and Danielle who lived down the street from me saw a bus that would get us close to home.

I was fine until I waked into my apt, then I started to cry and did not stop for the next week. I knew I would be home alone that night and called a friend to come stay with me, I knew that it would be very hard to spend the night alone. He slept on my living chair and I slept on the couch I did not want to be alone that night.

The Trade Center had always played a large part in my life, my Dad watched it being built, his office was right across the street, we celebrated my Parents 25th Anniversary at Windows on the World, at one point my DH worked at 6 WTC, one of the smaller buildings and when I worked on John street I would be there all the time, shopping either at Century 21 or at the many shops in the Towers themselves.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I was on my way to class at American. Classes were later cancelled after the hit at the Pentagon where my dad ( and future father-in-law )was posted at the time. It felt like a life time until I heard from mom that dad was ok. He lost a good friend that horrible day.

It was a scary time in DC. Such a beautiful day and a vivid blue sky. It was so quiet and then the sounds of planes scrambling were terrifying.

My sympathy to those who lost loved ones that day.