Trusted Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

I was home alone, had QVC on the TV and was about to turn it off to vacuum and my husband called from work. Needless to say, the vacuuming never got done that day. I'll never forget it.

Respected Contributor

Where oh where did those 15 years go? I was typing on the computer and had my radio on. At first they thought the Sears Tower in Chicago was hit, then retracted that the WTC was attacked. I will admit I didn't process my thoughts to well and thought this can't be right. I turned on the TV and there it was the replay of the planes going into the Towers. I still can't believe it was 15 years ago.

Respected Contributor

We were taking a car trip to Connecticut from the Midwest and had the car radio on. When the first plane hit we were traveling outside New York City looking to cross the Tappan Zee bridge. I remember the radio announcer said a plane hit but at the time she didn't really have all the details yet and speculated it was a plane that accidently went off course.  Then our family called and asked if we heard what happened and wanted us to turn around and come back home as soon as possible! 

Honored Contributor

I had worked 3 - 11 the night before so I was at home - sitting in the kitchen on a beautiful fall day, sun shining and sky blue. I was eating my cereal and watching Brian Gumball on a morning show when he went to an announcement that a plane had accidently hit the WTC and they went to live coverage. I actually watched live as the second plane hit. Brian Gumbal thought they had messed up the live feed then with a very broken voice he stammered out that another plane had hit the pentagon and we were under attack. I lived only 3 miles from the Air Force base in  Pittsburgh and within a short time my dog was carrying on at the door and I heard buzzing - very soon the sky was filled with blackhawk helicopters with armed soldiers hanging out flying very low over the tree tops and heading east. I shortly learned that the third plane had crashed in a farmers field in Shanksville, Pa about 75 miles away. All this within about 30 min - then my DH's office called to tell me that my DH & 2 other guys were flying from Cleveland to Fort Wayne and the office has not been able to reach them. They were saying on the news that they suspected 11 more possible planes had been hijacked. I turned into a bundle of nerves. It was about 4 hours before I heard from my DH - his plane had been able to go to Fort Wayne but the company had decided to close for a few days so he had to get back to Cleveland where his car was. By a pure miracle he had been able to rent a car, so they were heading back to Cleveland by car and hoping & praying they could buy gas when needed. He called me from Cleveland - they couldn't get a hotel room but we have a friend who lives there and he stayed with her. It was such a long long day! The hospital had cancelled all elective procedures the next day so I was called off from work - I was glad to stay home and rest - the day before had been so tense! My DH made it home by early afternoon, I was so glad to see him. He had to pay $9 a gallon for gas the day before because stations were price gouging.

Honored Contributor

I had just dropped off my DD at preschool and heard about the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center on the radio. I drove to my sister's house and turned on her TV and saw the second plane crash. 

Honored Contributor

I can still remember it like it was yesterday.  Back then before I went to sleep I always made sure the TV was tuned to a 24 hour news channel . . . I woke up with a terrible case of the flu but as part of my daily routine turned the TV on literally just in time to see the second plane hit and thinking this could not possibly be true . . . I will never forget Aaron Brown's reaction as long as I live as it was so human.  Please know he did a great job reporting that day and recovered immediately which I will always admire but that initial 30 seconds will live with me forever as whether I fully realized it at the time or not our lives had changed.

Regular Contributor

we were at the beach house finishing our coffee with other family members. We all remember that time in unbelief what was happening.
Respected Contributor

We were checking on our villa being built in Spain when a neighbor called us to come and see what was happening in the U.S. On her t,v.  Horrific moment we watched the second plane hit - could not believe what we were seeing. Will never forget that moment.

Honored Contributor

I was home  getting ready for work, listening to QVC. Jill the host, was on and suddly said in a very serious voice that we may want to turn to our major news channel...she did not go into detail that I remember.... When I did I saw the footage of the plane hitting the tower and listened to the commentary.    I will never forget.....

Honored Contributor

I was busy getting breakfast for husband and son when a neighbor stopped by and told us to turn on the tv.I didn't want to send my son to school but I did and fortunately for our family our day went as usual in spite of the horror.I will never forget that day and all of those people who lost their loved ones.and for what?I am always sad when that day rolls around and I don't think I will ever get over the shock.