Honored Contributor

9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

With the 15 Anniversary (hard to believe) of 9/11 coming up, it got me thinking where I was when I heard the devastating news of this horrific event. I live in NYC so this hit very close to home. I think this is one of those events where you'll never forget where you were. My father was still alive (he died that November) and he and my mother were at the eye doctor. I was food shopping and came home. I put on the TV and had no signal. My mother is not tech savvy and I thought she must have done something to the set. What I didn't know was that the antennas (I didn't have cable then) were on top of The World Trade Center, and when the building was hit the signals went out. My local CBS station had an antenna on top of the Empire State Building and that was the only channel I had access to. I watched what had happened in disbelief. My parents called home to me and I had to tell them what was going on. I was the  lifeline for them and the staff at the doctors office. My brother worked in the city (he has since passed away) and for the longest time we couldn't get through to him and didn't know how he was. Getting home by public transportation was rough. He finally made it home late that night, we were so blessed he did, some families were not as lucky. So if you would like to share your memories I would love to read them.

Honored Contributor

Re: 9/11 Anniversary: Where Were You

Vacuuming the living room while watching the attack on TV.

Trusted Contributor

I was at home, turned on the tv and watched it happen live in disbelief.  Our children were in school and my DH was on a military base in Norfolk, VA.  The entire base was on lockdown; he couldn't get a flight back home, so they drove back - across the country, with a rental car.  He couldn't walk for several days, had such a sore back.

It was one of two of the most horrific events I've ever witnessed on tv, the other was the challenger blowing up.  ABSOLUTELY WILL NEVER FORGET!!!!!!Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

We're in central time so it all happened an hour earlier for us.  My husband woke me up and said a plane went into the WTC. I could not wrap my mind around the enormity of it all and honestly thought - ok the plane landed in the side of the building- they need to open the door and let the people out of the plane. I was that in denial. But watching live the 2nd plane hit was absolutely devastating. Then the towers falling. Unreal.  If there is a he-ll, the pilots are there. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi Jordan2 -It is hard to believe that 15years have passed since that tragic day in our nation's history.  My girlfriend and I were on a short girls only trip in Utah and had arrived in Las Vegas the night before for a couple days before heading home to So. Ca.  We were still in our hotel room when she checked her cell messages and there was a msg. from one of her cousins in New York saying not to worry that they were all okay but the city was in chaos.  We were worried and turned on the TV and saw the horrible images of what had happened.  We called our families and decided to have something to eat, check out of our hotel and head home.  We had brunch at one of the big hotels and it was so eery.  Usually, it would have been very crowded, but it was like almost empty.  There was no traffic on the strip - it was like a ghost town.  We kept the radio on the whole drive home and kept changing stations to keep up with the horrible news.  You never forget a day like that - brings to my mind the day that JFK was assasinated - another day you always remember where you were.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Driving one of my children to pre-school. Heard the  initial report (which was full of questions and uncertainty), walked my son in and on the way home, heard about the Pentagon... my father was there. Immediately pulled over and tried to call him... no answer (he was fine but no phones, obviously), Turned right around, picked up my son, went home and tried to call my husband. At this point, lines were all busy. 

So I and a few neighbors (much older than I and visibly upset) stayed at my house, played with my son and the baby, drank tea and......waited.

Honored Contributor

It was pretty early, when it started, out here in Pacific time.  I believe I was getting ready for work and saw a little bit about it, but had to leave to go to work and then heard more as the day went on.

Honored Contributor

At home. It was 6 am and I got up much earlier than usual for some reason. Turned on the TV and was shocked. My husband hadn't left for work so I called him to the TV. I remember he had a business trip out of state planned and I was worried about him flying. His company cancelled all trips. In fact I don't think they had any non essential business trips for the next year or two.

It's sad that I don't think my kids really remember an America before that day and I don't think what happened was really real to them at the time. I know they don't remember a time we weren't at war in the middle east. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I had been in New York a shopping trip exactly a year earlier with "friends of a friend" and my close friend.

On THE DAY, I was in class with twenty-five juniors and seniors.  It was the only time I haven't been able to answer questions!

We had the tv on and the school made an anouncement to turn it off.  Five minutes later, the superintendent said to turn them on!

Valued Contributor

I was driving to the childrens crisis center. It was tough keeping it together for the yonglngs, having family in Pitt and surrounding areas that day.