Honored Contributor

88 YEAR OLD FATHER AND DOWN SYNDROME SON ARE THRILLED TO BE BACK TOGETHER

This was apparently the first time the Down Syndrome son (in his fifties) had been away for a week from his 88 year old Dad.  Very dear-- pure joy and love caught between father and son:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiz66tSppzA

Honored Contributor

Re: 88 YEAR OLD FATHER AND DOWN SYNDROME SON ARE THRILLED TO BE BACK TOGETHER

Thanks for posting. The video says it all.

Honored Contributor

this is pure love.

Honored Contributor

I often see a pair like this shopping for groceries at Walmart except they're older.....very elderly dad and gray haired son.  I always wonder what will happen to son when dad goes.  It must be a worry for him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Prayers for beloved Dad that he continues to be healthy.  This choked me up.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Yes, @Kachina624, I think a lot of families in this situation do some careful planning so the child will be well cared for throughout life.  This family seems to be a loving network-- you can hear the women in the background who seem to be relatives-- so am hoping they have done the same.

So glad he made it this far with surrounding affection and quality of life!

Honored Contributor

I saw this on Instagram recently. So sweet 💜

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

in the town that I live there was a very nice family whose one son was downs . His brothers/sisters grew up and left home. He was left with his parents. His parents set up a trust fund for the house (which was absolutely beautiful and well taken care of) and helpers that would check on him daily. He was a very independent man who rode around the town on his beach type bike. He shopped daily for groceries, went to store around town. The people in my town knew him on site and would talk to him all the time. He was a very kind loving man.  I have not seen him for several years so do not know if he passed??? Or was put in a home??? Not really sure what happened to him.  His parents raised him very independently and set up funds so he would never hurt for money or care.

Valued Contributor

There was a family at our church when we lived in upstate New York who had 4 children. The oldest (a boy) had Down Syndrome, plus, their youngest (a girl) had Down Syndrome. The parents had hoped they would outlive both their Down children, but alas, that didn't happen. The father died first and the mother died about 2 years ago. They had prepared well financially. When the mother died, it's my understanding that their third child (divorced son whose own children were grown) went to live with his 2 Down siblings - they are in their late 40's and 50's now. Their mother was a remarkable, strong and loving person; I'm sure their father was too, but I didn't know him as well.

Respected Contributor

Sweet, touching YouTube story..