Respected Contributor

Re: 83 y.o.Great Grandmother Evicted over Cookies

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't understand the theory that because she's old she should get a pass on her behavior. If she has dementia that's another issue but being old doesn't mean you can be a jerk. Not to mention she's probably always been unpleasant.

@pigletsmom  I guess your parents never taught you respect for the elderly. You can’t possibly make judgements regarding this women based on a few poorly written articles. Why not wait and see what happens with the court case. That’s the only way you can find out the truth of the matter. 

Maybe she’s sick, maybe not, but for you to make the statement “she’s probably always been unpleasant.” is mean and ridiculous.  

Well what do you think happens to young unpleasant people when they age. They become old unpleasant people. As I said if this is a case of dementia that's a different story and in that case it sounds like she needs care.

And I have a great deal of respect for older people. I assume they have more wisdom then I do and if you've seen previous posts where I complained that people don't look out for their older neighbors you'd know that. So maybe you shouldn't assume.

This woman is making a big stink claiming she was kicked out over cookies and it appears many people are just believing that. Landlords aren't just tossing people out of places for no reason and the idea that they'd make more money off the apartment makes no sense. Not sure how long she's lived there but they haven't even sold her house yet so I assume not all that long, which means she's probably near the top of the rent prices.

According to the article, she moved in May 2018.  In May 2019, she went on a month to month lease.  Not sure if that means they refused to renew a yearly lease or if that was standard.  In any case, with a month to month, I'd think either party could terminate with notice - so she may not have a case regardless of whether the cookie issue is real.

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't understand the theory that because she's old she should get a pass on her behavior. If she has dementia that's another issue but being old doesn't mean you can be a jerk. Not to mention she's probably always been unpleasant.

@pigletsmom  I guess your parents never taught you respect for the elderly. You can’t possibly make judgements regarding this women based on a few poorly written articles. Why not wait and see what happens with the court case. That’s the only way you can find out the truth of the matter. 

Maybe she’s sick, maybe not, but for you to make the statement “she’s probably always been unpleasant.” is mean and ridiculous.  

Well what do you think happens to young unpleasant people when they age. They become old unpleasant people. As I said if this is a case of dementia that's a different story and in that case it sounds like she needs care.

And I have a great deal of respect for older people. I assume they have more wisdom then I do and if you've seen previous posts where I complained that people don't look out for their older neighbors you'd know that. So maybe you shouldn't assume.

This woman is making a big stink claiming she was kicked out over cookies and it appears many people are just believing that. Landlords aren't just tossing people out of places for no reason and the idea that they'd make more money off the apartment makes no sense. Not sure how long she's lived there but they haven't even sold her house yet so I assume not all that long, which means she's probably near the top of the rent prices.

According to the article, she moved in May 2018.  In May 2019, she went on a month to month lease.  Not sure if that means they refused to renew a yearly lease or if that was standard.  In any case, with a month to month, I'd think either party could terminate with notice - so she may not have a case regardless of whether the cookie issue is real.

@Isobel Archer Thank you!

Respected Contributor

I see where the WaPo comments site has now deleted the assault weapon comment.  They've deleted other comments which were even worse previously.

Interesting that they won't allow these comments on their site, but they are apparently fine with the biased article that inspired them.

Esteemed Contributor

She needs a good lawyer - and she'll win $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to one of her family members - via the WaPo comments page of the article - she is still there and now - due to the outrage the article inspired - a reprsentative of the parent company is flying out from Houston to meet with them this week.

They thanked everyone for all the offers of free housing and money saying the response was overwhelming and heart warming.

They also castigated the person who dared to mention her previous criminal and civil convictions claiming it was outrageous to mention those claiming they happened over 30 years ago (actually they continued up to 2012 despite when they began, but I digress).

Interesting that it is fine - uplifting actually according to the commenter - to express outrage about the company after hearing only one side of the story - without factual confirmation - but absolutely hateful and terrible to mention actual facts about her background that could cause one to wonder if her story is true.

Oh well   we'll see what happens - if the outcome is further reported.

Honored Contributor

This happens often in homes that are exclusively for the elderly. I believe that in their rent the cost of things like these are bulit in. Many residents will take away from the afternoon snack thingie somthing so they do not have to go to breakfast.

I think something else is going on.