Respected Contributor

Re: 83 y.o.Great Grandmother Evicted over Cookies

It amazes me how these stories get so much attention.

A few years ago there was an article in the Daily Mail about a controversy in a small local community near me. I always wondered why they thought it was newsworthy.

Respected Contributor

What I think is scary is that people get so worked up about stories in the press and just believe whatever they read.  It must be true, it's in the Washington Post.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What I think is scary is that people get so worked up about stories in the press and just believe whatever they read.  It must be true, it's in the Washington Post.  

@Isobel Archer, people have always loved this type of story, nothing new about that. I don't think that it's necessarily a total belief of a story, especially in the beginning. I think that posting on threads like this often leads to people forming an early opinion and then feeling the need to defend it as if it were a debate.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer, people have always loved this type of story, nothing new about that. I don't think that it's necessarily a total belief of a story, especially in the beginning. I think that posting on threads like this often leads to people forming an early opinion and then feeling the need to defend it as if it were a debate.

The problem is that - in this case - it definitely spurred people to action - leaving bad reviews for this complex on Yelp, FB etc, writing horrible things on their FB and website pages, urging picketing, etc. etc. - almost a mob mentality. 

This is particularly interesting since court records indicate that Ms. Cruey, herself, was found guilty of harassment, vulgar language, trespassing etc. in earlier years.  She must be estatic that she's aroused this kind of response.

I still say this was a very unprofessional  article - a hit job on this complex without the benefit of actual verified facts - other than Ms. Cruey's assertions.

Here is an example of one of the  comments posted today:  "There are times when I want to see assault weapons banned. In this case, I would applaud if this nice lady owned one...and used it!"

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3   I'm not sure about loving this story but the issue is the title of this thread alone was misleading.  The opening post also did not tell the whole story.

Whether here or elsewhere, people need to take a moment and a deep breath - some of the comments elsewhere are calling for violence against this complex.

I find it troubling.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand the theory that because she's old she should get a pass on her behavior. If she has dementia that's another issue but being old doesn't mean you can be a jerk. Not to mention she's probably always been unpleasant.

Trusted Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't understand the theory that because she's old she should get a pass on her behavior. If she has dementia that's another issue but being old doesn't mean you can be a jerk. Not to mention she's probably always been unpleasant.

@pigletsmom  I guess your parents never taught you respect for the elderly. You can’t possibly make judgements regarding this women based on a few poorly written articles. Why not wait and see what happens with the court case. That’s the only way you can find out the truth of the matter. 

Maybe she’s sick, maybe not, but for you to make the statement “she’s probably always been unpleasant.” is mean and ridiculous.  

Respected Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@pigletsmom  I guess your parents never taught you respect for the elderly. You can’t possibly make judgements regarding this women based on a few poorly written articles. Why not wait and see what happens with the court case. That’s the only way you can find out the truth of the matter. 

Maybe she’s sick, maybe not, but for you to make the statement “she’s probably always been unpleasant.” is mean and ridiculous.  

To be fair, that comment could have been based on her being found guilty of harassment, vulgar language, traspassing etc. in previous years.  These records are available online - as noted in the comments section  of the article.

I agree that we don't know what management did or did not do - and her court case against them should settle that.  However, the article leaves no doubt - although it offers no proof - that management persecuted her - and that is what I object to.

Trusted Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Well what do you think happens to young unpleasant people when they age. They become old unpleasant people. As I said if this is a case of dementia that's a different story and in that case it sounds like she needs care.

And I have a great deal of respect for older people. I assume they have more wisdom then I do and if you've seen previous posts where I complained that people don't look out for their older neighbors you'd know that. So maybe you shouldn't assume.

This woman is making a big stink claiming she was kicked out over cookies and it appears many people are just believing that. Landlords aren't just tossing people out of places for no reason and the idea that they'd make more money off the apartment makes no sense. Not sure how long she's lived there but they haven't even sold her house yet so I assume not all that long, which means she's probably near the top of the rent prices.

Respected Contributor

Also, apparently this is not an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home.  It is an apartment complex for those 62 and older.

So if she has dementia, this is not the place for her.