Respected Contributor

Re: 83 y.o.Great Grandmother Evicted over Cookies

This article was in the Washington Post.  It was on the front page of the metro section and featured pictures of her - and of her with her veteran husband before he died.  It also tells us she's part Cherokee and it is very heart rending.  So much so that it has inspired a mob like mentality in reaction.  In the WaPo comments section of the article, people are outraged and are leaving comments on the complex and parent company's website and bad reviews on Yelp and FB.  They are calling for picketing and worse.

Interestingly, there is almost no fact checking apparent in the article.  Ms. Creuy alleged the meeting she tried to attend was run by a Fairfax County rep.  It would seem that this person would be a good one to check with concerning her behavior yet the reporter claims since the police weren't called "there is no way to tell what actually happened."

There is the standard - oh I contacted the complex management company, but they said privacy and litigation (Ms. Cruey is suing them) prevent comment.

The reporter does say a "former resident" said management "threatened" another unnamed resident for taking an additional sausage, but it seems odd that the former resident wanted to be anonymous so that other residents wouldn't be "harmed further."  The former resident can't be harmed at this point and if he/she is concerned about outing the sausage taker as a compaliner, he/she already did that.  So this makes no sense.

Then, to further show how unreasonable management allegedly is, the reporter tells us about an entertainer who was asked to move his car during his performance.  He says he asked an employee to do it, but was told he had to do it himself.  He then parked in another space that was restricted and ended up leaving.  It would seem this could have been easily verified by talking to the employee - since this clearly was not a privacy or litigation matter.  But - crickets on that one too.

So we really only have Ms. Cruey's story without real verification.  And someone on the comments page unearthed the fact that she has been involved in numerous criminal and civil lawsuits from 1996 to 2015 - where she was found guilty -  involving harassment, vulgar language, trespassing, obstruction of justice etc.  So she may not be the innocent she is portrayed to be.

It is sad that we are just expected to believe whatever the press prints these days.  

Honored Contributor

And now we have the people who hate newspapers. Even though they are discussing a topic they never would have found out about if it weren't for newspapers. And any additional facts they might find to support their contention that the individual deserved what they got--they also get from the newspapers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

And now we have the people who hate newspapers. Even though they are discussing a topic they never would have found out about if it weren't for newspapers. And any additional facts they might find to support their contention that the individual deserved what they got--they also get from the newspapers.

?

This story is online.

Respected Contributor

This story has legs. There is long, detailed article in the Daily Mail

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm not sure what I "found out" from this article.  I really have no idea if management at this complex is wrong here - as the article clearly wants me to believe - or not.  Some fact verification would have gone a long way.

I don't know if Ms. Cruey "deserved" what she allegedly "got," but the additional facts actually came from court records - not the newspaper.

I don't "hate newspapers" but I do like verified facts not heartrending drama that may or may not be true.  Sorry if that offends you.

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

This story has legs. There is long, detailed article in the Daily Mail

Actually it's not nearly as long as the WaPo article.

Honored Contributor

I’m finding it best to not jump to conclusions. I’ve been burned too many times. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

This article was in the Washington Post.  It was on the front page of the metro section and featured pictures of her - and of her with her veteran husband before he died.  It also tells us she's part Cherokee and it is very heart rending.  So much so that it has inspired a mob like mentality in reaction.  In the WaPo comments section of the article, people are outraged and are leaving comments on the complex and parent company's website and bad reviews on Yelp and FB.  They are calling for picketing and worse.

Interestingly, there is almost no fact checking apparent in the article.  Ms. Creuy alleged the meeting she tried to attend was run by a Fairfax County rep.  It would seem that this person would be a good one to check with concerning her behavior yet the reporter claims since the police weren't called "there is no way to tell what actually happened."

There is the standard - oh I contacted the complex management company, but they said privacy and litigation (Ms. Cruey is suing them) prevent comment.

The reporter does say a "former resident" said management "threatened" another unnamed resident for taking an additional sausage, but it seems odd that the former resident wanted to be anonymous so that other residents wouldn't be "harmed further."  The former resident can't be harmed at this point and if he/she is concerned about outing the sausage taker as a compaliner, he/she already did that.  So this makes no sense.

Then, to further show how unreasonable management allegedly is, the reporter tells us about an entertainer who was asked to move his car during his performance.  He says he asked an employee to do it, but was told he had to do it himself.  He then parked in another space that was restricted and ended up leaving.  It would seem this could have been easily verified by talking to the employee - since this clearly was not a privacy or litigation matter.  But - crickets on that one too.

So we really only have Ms. Cruey's story without real verification.  And someone on the comments page unearthed the fact that she has been involved in numerous criminal and civil lawsuits from 1996 to 2015 - where she was found guilty -  involving harassment, vulgar language, trespassing, obstruction of justice etc.  So she may not be the innocent she is portrayed to be.

It is sad that we are just expected to believe whatever the press prints these days.  

@Isobel ArcherI saw the bit about the entertainer and the extral sausage.

Of course no employee would move his car.  It wasn't his/her job and liability would fit in that case.  Why the entertainer was not told where to park in the first place is beyond me.

The extra sausage makes me laugh a bit.  Like nobody ever took an extra sausage.

How many are they allowed anyway?  LOL

And of course we have the calls to picket and boycott and yadda yadda because I honestly think people have nothing better to do than look for something to make a big cause out of, and usually without knowing all the facts.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I read that but she was not evicted over the cookies.  She was given a warning over the cookies but not evicted.  She got the eviction notice over a physical altercation with a worker and for refusing to leave a private meeting.  The old lady is telling her side of events but my common sense tells me there's much going on between her and management than cookies and whatever happened at that meeting.  There's a back story and neither side is telling why the apartment complex wants her out so badly.

@chrystaltree 

Exactly.

There are always 2 sides to every story.

But in the Court of Public Opinion, the cookie angle makes for a

splashy headline for extra clicks. 
Pretty soon we of the 'the entire story' group will be accused

spitting on flowers & kicking puppies, so...

OPE! Too late.

@sidsmom  No, just content to wait and see how it plays out in court. 

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I read that but she was not evicted over the cookies.  She was given a warning over the cookies but not evicted.  She got the eviction notice over a physical altercation with a worker and for refusing to leave a private meeting.  The old lady is telling her side of events but my common sense tells me there's much going on between her and management than cookies and whatever happened at that meeting.  There's a back story and neither side is telling why the apartment complex wants her out so badly.

@chrystaltree 

Exactly.

There are always 2 sides to every story.

But in the Court of Public Opinion, the cookie angle makes for a

splashy headline for extra clicks. 
Pretty soon we of the 'the entire story' group will be accused

spitting on flowers & kicking puppies, so...

OPE! Too late.

@sidsmom  No, just content to wait and see how it plays out in court. 

I agree.

All these stories will have their day in court.

It's not a coulda/woulda/shoulda.

Throw a 'cookie' in the story & suddenly WaPo & many other outlets

has millions of clicks.  The emotion gets everyone every single time. 
Something we all can relate to.