Honored Contributor

Re: 83 y.o.Great Grandmother Evicted over Cookies

[ Edited ]

It might be important to remember that many elderly are still around who experienced the Depression and/or other extreme hard times.

Taking some food could be a throw-back to those days when food wasn't so plentiful.

Just a thought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Random question:

Wonder how this story got on the wire to such a large outlet

like the Washington Post?

Respected Contributor

Sidsmom, That is a good question. There's a reason this hit the such a large audience. I have no idea what it could be...
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Sidsmom, That is a good question. There's a reason this hit the such a large audience. I have no idea what it could be...

@Brisky 

It's a story, unfortunately, not that uncommon.

I mean if you threw a stick in the Apartment Mgmt Did Me a Wrong crowd, you'd hit hundreds if not thousands of same/worse stories.

I'm glad I'm not the only one stretching my head over this..🤔

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m sorry to say I live in a world where this is even remotely an issue. Cruelty to the elderly is now becoming acceptable? Sad! I’m sure some good folks in her area will read the article and step up and help her. I hope their lawyer take that apartment owner to the cleaners!

Respected Contributor

I googled the article. There are pictures of her outside and in the dining room with other residents or friends. You can see kids who are probably grandchildren. I was expecting to see a timid, downtrodden, elderly woman. She looked good, nicely dressed, attractive hair, make-up and nails. There is a picture of some very tasty-looking cookies to be served to the guests and residents. In my opinion, her carriage and demeanor showed a feisty woman who was in control. She is quoted in the article saying she will take legal action (if she doesn't get her way). 

Honored Contributor

I read that but she was not evicted over the cookies.  She was given a warning over the cookies but not evicted.  She got the eviction notice over a physical altercation with a worker and for refusing to leave a private meeting.  The old lady is telling her side of events but my common sense tells me there's much going on between her and management than cookies and whatever happened at that meeting.  There's a back story and neither side is telling why the apartment complex wants her out so badly.

Honored Contributor

I'm noticing a pattern. Something bad happens to someone. Most people sympathize. And then a few chime in with, "Two sides! They must have deserved it somehow."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I read that but she was not evicted over the cookies.  She was given a warning over the cookies but not evicted.  She got the eviction notice over a physical altercation with a worker and for refusing to leave a private meeting.  The old lady is telling her side of events but my common sense tells me there's much going on between her and management than cookies and whatever happened at that meeting.  There's a back story and neither side is telling why the apartment complex wants her out so badly.

@chrystaltree 

Exactly.

There are always 2 sides to every story.

But in the Court of Public Opinion, the cookie angle makes for a

splashy headline for extra clicks. 
Pretty soon we of the 'the entire story' group will be accused

spitting on flowers & kicking puppies, so...

OPE! Too late.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know. The cookies and milk thing makes one of those sympathy stories that catch attention but leave out the facts. Management can't evict people without just cause. Plus, it's a hassle to have people moving in or out. Paperwork, preparation of the apartment, etc. is costly and time-consuming. She evidently does whatever she wants and creates problems for herself, other residents and management. It's possible that dining room staff, office staff, and other residents have complained or reported her numerous times for disruptive, combative behavior.