Respected Contributor

Re: 83 y.o.Great Grandmother Evicted over Cookies

I'd be interested to know more about Greystar Management.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I googled the Greystar Management & out of 31 reviews they got 1 1/2 stars out of 5. In my opinion it is the Greystar that is the biggest problem.

Respected Contributor

@Bridegal, I read the whole post. If this lady is assaulting people .or doing harm to people the residents need to call police. If I missed that in reading the thread, then I missed it.
Respected Contributor

Reread this thread. When people are assaulted they usually call police. I see no police department call.
Therefore I can reason the residents weren't frightened of this 83 old woman.
I have seen people of all ages swear.
No gun on her. That would definitely be mentioned.
Yes, I read the whole thread.
It could be demetia but I'm not a Doctor.
Respected Contributor

LOL!

In one episode of the "Soprano's" one of the "gang" took his mother to a Broadway show and dinner.  Her 2 "friends" accompanied them, but they paid their own way.  After dinner the older ladies are shown clearing the table of rolls, sugar and artificial sweetener packets, just about anything that they could grab.  Perhaps it's just something that some elderly folks tend to do. 

Honored Contributor

Not all 83 year olds are frail and weak. 

The meeting consisted of residents who were already receiving financial assistance and that is why it was a closed meeting.  She wanted to attend to see if she qualified.

I feel the management handled that poorly.  If there are ways to obtain reduced rates or help paying rent, then the management might have opened up a meeting to give information for everyone.

I don't know why this meeting with the residents already on some assistance was closed.  Maybe for privacy?

We all know how it rolls-somebody is getting something and others get resentful.

Despite all this, the wrist grabbing, the "loud obnoxious" behavior, I think there should be a better way to mediate her situation.  It's one word against another.

I don't believe the police should have been called, either.  It's not like she performed a wrestling technique for pity sake.

She could be a real pain, the management could be a real pain, or it could be a combination.

As I said earlier, I don't want to see her evicted until it is determined that she is a threat and a disruptive tenant.  There must be a way for all parties to come together.

But this isn't about the milk and cookies.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Sounds like they were looking for a “reason” to get rid of her so they can lease it at a higher price. I doubt it’s even true. 

Yes, I absolutely believe this is the case.

The apartments are for low income people age 62 and older. They are probably being subsidized by the government.

I highly doubt they will make more money from a different tenant.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Me too.  I found a semilar article online with this:

One former Overture resident, who spoke to me on the condition of anonymity because she still has friends who live there, says Cruey’s situation is not unique. She describes other residents receiving lease violations for cursing or taking an extra pork sausage at the free breakfast that is offered. She says people worry these violations will cause their rents to go up and some stay home out of fear they might get evicted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stealing food isn't something that only "some" elderly people do.   Go into most any office, just watch what happens after a lunch meeting ends - a few people are absolute scavengers.  We had 1 woman put a tray of half-eaten salmon under her desk to take home.  lol.

ETA - yes they will very likely make money if she leaves.  They are currently advertising apartments available for rent - 1 and 2 bedrooms ranging from $1,995 - $3,750 per month.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 

LOL!  Unless that woman who took the salmon had it on ice, she probably got very ill if she ate it later.  Hope she didn't share it with anyone!