Respected Contributor

Re: 800,000 without power in the mitten

The community where I live in southwest Michigan was hit pretty hard. I'm out of town for awhile, but a friend went and checked and said I have power and it doesn't appear to have gone out. Our power lines are all buried so that helps. A couple of blocks over where the lines are still on poles, the power has been out since Wednesday. Another friend that lives in the "historic" district has trees down as well as no power. He said the latest estimate from Consumers is "maybe" Monday night. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We just got a call from DTE, saying our power should be restored by 11:30 PM tonight

We are lucky ,and have a lot to be thankful for. We can afford to eat out in  nice restaurants, we  also can afford the  gas to run the generator. Many people can't say the same, and they really have to tough it out.  I really feel so sorry for them. The temp dropped quite a bit  yesterday, and it  is in the mid teens right now

At least the work crews aren't out in snow, and dealing with storms. That should make their work a lot easier

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We just got a call from DTE, saying our power should be restored by 11:30 PM tonight

We are lucky ,and have a lot to be thankful for. We can afford to eat out in  nice restaurants, we  also can afford the  gas to run the generator. Many people can't say the same, and they really have to tough it out.  I really feel so sorry for them. The temp dropped quite a bit  yesterday, and it  is in the mid teens right now

At least the work crews aren't out in snow, and dealing with storms. That should make their work a lot easier

Still saying prayers that your power comes back on and you can rest easy. It still is more difficult to eat out with diabetes, so my heart goes out to you, cherry. Take care of yourself....

Honored Contributor

An entire crew is here now. There must be downed wires. They have an area cordoned off with danger tape.

They brought a lot of heavy equipment along with them, according to my husband, who loves watching that kind of stuff

Power is just around the corner. I am so happy

Trusted Contributor

What a year weather-wise. 

Three weeks ago we had strong winds too.  What an experience.  So many

downed trees.  And yes, we went without electricity for four full days.  But

we were one of the lucky ones.  Our Eucalyptus stayed upright.  A goal

before next winter is to have all six of them cut down($$$).  You are lucky

you have a generator. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in central Michigan...never lost power, but lost cable and internet overnight.  Sad story on the news...a young couple somewhere north of here had a tree blow on their vehicle as they drove down the road and they were both killed.

Horrible windstorm.  Prayers to all dealing with no power...it got very cold, so that's an added pain.  

Honored Contributor

We have our power back again. Thank you to all the power company linemen. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We have our power back again. Thank you to all the power company linemen. 

@cherry

Glad you have your power back!

I used to work for a power company in the PNW.  Most of our outages were in the winter due to windstorms.  Everyone had to be available to work the phone lines and the power crews were all working.

It was during that time that I came to appreciate the line crews. Those guys (and gals) work very hard and in dangerous conditions.  They are truly a heroic breed, up there with cops and firemen in my view!  Also the nicest, most helpful people you ever met.

Once an irate customer in the office was causing a scene and was escalating, and this big burly lineman comes out from the back of the office and over to me, and said "Need any help?"  Calmed the customer right down. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero