Valued Contributor

Re: 8.7M Lbs. of 'Diseased, Unsound' Meat Recalled

Yuck. I buy grass fed ground beef from a local small market, precisely because I don't trust the regular beef sold in groceries.
Honored Contributor

I read a story over 12 years ago in the NYT Magazine - ""Power Steer"". The reporter followed the life and death of a steer he purchased for consumption.

This story was so powerful I stopped eating grain fed processed beef.

I think this might link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/power-steer.html

Contributor

I can't afford grass fed and organic stuff all the time. I eat some beef some chicken and pork. I love fish, but its gotten expensive too. I am almost 70 and have eaten meat all my life and whatever is going to get me is already in me I am sure!! I eat salad and fruit and veggies also.

Honored Contributor

"So, so, disgusting", "Gross", "yuck"....don't know why everyone is emotionally reacting like this. You DO know this occurs each & every day....the Gov just caught this one...this time.

A true meat-eating spices wouldn't be ick'd out like this. Those reactions show that Man wasn't meant to eat meat.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 sidsmom said:

"So, so, disgusting", "Gross", "yuck"....don't know why everyone is emotionally reacting like this. You DO know this occurs each & every day....the Gov just caught this one...this time.

A true meat-eating spices wouldn't be ick'd out like this. Those reactions show that Man wasn't meant to eat meat.

The article in the NYT shows that basically ALL the cattle are sick by the time they are slaughtered.

The article still haunts me...

Respected Contributor

Another reason why I don't eat beef.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Super Contributor

There's the same reaction when contaminated fruits and veggies hit the market. Being repelled by tainted food doesn't mean we weren't meant to eat them.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 ------ said:

There's the same reaction when contaminated fruits and veggies hit the market. Being repelled by tainted food doesn't mean we weren't meant to eat them.

...but a carrot isn't dragged into a slaughterhouse because it is too sick or weak to stand.

Super Contributor

On 2/9/2014 terrier3 said:
On 2/9/2014 ------ said:

...but a carrot isn't dragged into a slaughterhouse because it is too sick or weak to stand.

The conditions they are grown in can be filthy. Human waste and so on...

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 ------ said:
On 2/9/2014 terrier3 said:
On 2/9/2014 ------ said:

The conditions they are grown in can be filthy. Human waste and so on...

Which is why I stopped eating corn fed beef when the NYT story (following the life of one calf from birth to death) came out over 12 years ago.