Respected Contributor

Re: 73 yr. old woman in India had twins, your thoughts.

I think it's weird.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

Just the thought of twins makes me tired.

Respected Contributor

Mangayamma Yaramati 73, started menopause 25 years ago and so an egg was taken from a donor and fertilized with her 82-year-old husband Sitarama Rajarao’s sperm through IVF. She conceived in the first cycle and was found to be pregnant in January.

The woman gave birth to her babies via C-section on Thursday ending nine long months of bed rest for mom.

Trusted Contributor

When I was pregnant with my son 17 years ago, my medical chart had “advanced maternal age” written on it.  

I was 37 years old!  This takes the cake!

Esteemed Contributor

WOW!!! I'm 78 yrs young and I still have a chance???????

Honored Contributor

837514213.gif837514213.gif837514213.gif173836.gif173836.gif173836.gifAt some of the comments in this thread.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I saw this in FB and was amazed to see the hateful comments...it is sad that the father just had a stroke. Apparently in their village where they live you are looked down upon if you don’t have children. The mother was known as” the lady with no child” or something like that. I trust they have a family support system in place to help raise and care for these two babies. I do question why a dr would think doing IVF on a woman in her 70’s is a good idea. So great the two baby girls are healthy and the mother is also doing well...but I am sure her recovery from a C section would take longer than a mother who is much younger.
Honored Contributor

I had a co-worker who found out she was pregnant the day after her 50th birthday. Just shoot me!
Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

WOW!!! I'm 78 yrs young and I still have a chance???????

The question is....do you want that chance???

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Found this:https://fox4kc.com/2019/09/06/73-year-old-indian-woman-gives-birth-to-twins-believed-to-be-oldest-to...

“The surgery went well … the mother and the babies are all healthy with no complications,” Dr. Sanakayyala Umashankar, the director of Ahalya IVF, who performed the C-section, told CNN.

Mangayamma and her husband, 80-year-old E. Raja Rao, have been married since 1962 but had never been able to conceive naturally. They approached Umashankar in 2018 and, after preliminary tests were promising, the doctor agreed to give them one round of IVF treatment.

Given Mangayamma’s age, the doctors performed a C-section and will keep her under observation for the next 21 days.

“We are not allowing the mother to breastfeed and the babies will be fed through the milk bank,” Umashankar said.

Rao, 80, has already begun making plans for his daughter, said Umashankar. And for Mangayamma, it is a new lease of life at the age of 73, he said.

“She is very confident now. More confident than ever in her life and she is looking forward to the next chapter of her life with the kids,” Umashankar added.

For those who don't like to click on address.

OMG!  So they aren't allowing her to breast feed!  I'm 72, been pregnant at least 5 times, 3 living.  I'm telling you even at gun point it would take some doing for me to even figure out where the boobs are.  Hummm???? I think they're resting on my stomach at this time.

OMG, I'm in tears...Smiley LOL