Honored Contributor

Re: 73 yr. old woman in India had twins, your thoughts.

I think it's totally wrong. 

The doctor who did this should lose his license

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

There is a high probability that they won't  live to see those kids grow to 18. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2

I'm 59 yrs old and I'm adopted. My biological mother died 5 years before I found her. My adopted mother died of breast cancer when I was 9. The last 3 years of her life was spent on our livingroom couch. I don't remember anything about her before then. My adopted father remarried several years later.

My point is many variables can happen in one's life. There are a lot of folks who didn't have a mother/father or both for most if not all of their life. It does not determine one's own destiny.

By the time I got married when I was 40, it was too late for me to have kids. We could not afford the expensive procedures and adoption was out of the question. Since I was over 40, adoption agencies in the USA turn potential parents away! We didn't have the 10's of thousands of dollars to adopt a child overseas.

Kudos to the woman who made her dream possible. I can only live vicariously through her. Isn't it nice when anyone reaches their dreams Smiley Happy

There are many people over 40 adopting babies in the U.S. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I figure they have extended family.  Any siblings Mom, 73, and Dad, 80, have are most likely older too.  That leaves nieces and nephews to care for the twins should something happen.

In the mid-60's a classmate's Mom got pregnant at 40, a surprise.  When the child was 9 his Dad died of a massive heart attack.  When he was 13 Mom died of cancer.  He went to live with a sister several hours from his home. Of course, he had to change schools, make new friends.  His sister had kids of her own. Even though he was loved and well taken care of,  he has had issues his whole life.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Sorry to hear this, but I turned out 'normal' despite my tough early life.

Honored Contributor

My parents were older than most when they had four children...the natural way.  They didn't plan it that way, it just happened.  Of course, they were not in their 70's and 80's.

We grew up fine, but I lost my mother early.  She was only 62. I wish I had more time with her.

I grew up hearing people scolding my parents for having children late in life.  I would not do that to anyone.  Children are a blessing and if they are loved, that's all that matters.

Congratulations to the couple.  

Honored Contributor

Beautiful @Carmie 

Honored Contributor

My thoughts ....

Rather ironic that she gave birth to twin GIRLS.   Females are often "selectively" aborted in India.

I'm philosophically and theologically opposed to IVF.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I figure they have extended family.  Any siblings Mom, 73, and Dad, 80, have are most likely older too.  That leaves nieces and nephews to care for the twins should something happen.

In the mid-60's a classmate's Mom got pregnant at 40, a surprise.  When the child was 9 his Dad died of a massive heart attack.  When he was 13 Mom died of cancer.  He went to live with a sister several hours from his home. Of course, he had to change schools, make new friends.  His sister had kids of her own. Even though he was loved and well taken care of,  he has had issues his whole life.

He could have had issues without losing his parents.

— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2

I'm 59 yrs old and I'm adopted. My biological mother died 5 years before I found her. My adopted mother died of breast cancer when I was 9. The last 3 years of her life was spent on our livingroom couch. I don't remember anything about her before then. My adopted father remarried several years later.

My point is many variables can happen in one's life. There are a lot of folks who didn't have a mother/father or both for most if not all of their life. It does not determine one's own destiny.

By the time I got married when I was 40, it was too late for me to have kids. We could not afford the expensive procedures and adoption was out of the question. Since I was over 40, adoption agencies in the USA turn potential parents away! We didn't have the 10's of thousands of dollars to adopt a child overseas.

Kudos to the woman who made her dream possible. I can only live vicariously through her. Isn't it nice when anyone reaches their dreams Smiley Happy

@mom2four0418  We were turned away by several because of my age. They were not afraid to say exactly why. My DH is almost 8 years younger than me and that didn't help matters any. Remember, this was about 20 yrs ago...things may be more lenient now and same sex couples and singles can also adopt now.

Respected Contributor

To me it’s nuts but I didn’t read their story.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2

@mom2four0418  We were turned away by several because of my age. They were not afraid to say exactly why. My DH is almost 8 years younger than me and that didn't help matters any. Remember, this was about 20 yrs ago...things may be more lenient now and same sex couples and singles can also adopt now.

My daughter was adopted 20 years ago. Single and same sex people were also adopting babies. Maybe it depends on which agency/state is involved. 

— Fyodor Dostoyevsky