Honored Contributor

Re: 73 yr. old woman in India had twins, your thoughts.

@CrazyKittyLvr2I think there's way more to this story somehow.  I have 2 thoughts:  first, what purpose did the doctors doing the IVF think they were serving -  I don't see how it can be as simple as providing a child/children for a childless couple.   secondl,I want to know what provision there is for those children to be provided and nurtured as they grow.  I'm slightly older than mom but younger than dad and I have myriad friends between mom's age and early 90's.  Very few, however, who would be "total parents" day after day, year aft6er year.   

And that brings me right back to my first thought!

Honored Contributor

along with my congratulations, let me add that that area of the world has a far better family support system than this area of the world. the extended family unit is usually large and strong and cohesive. they help each other and have no hesitation in doing so. my guess is is that they have a lot of love that surrounds them and the children will not be lacking in love from a lot of people.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My thoughts are that it's insanity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

There is a high probability that they won't  live to see those kids grow to 18. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2

I'm 59 yrs old and I'm adopted. My biological mother died 5 years before I found her. My adopted mother died of breast cancer when I was 9. The last 3 years of her life was spent on our livingroom couch. I don't remember anything about her before then. My adopted father remarried several years later.

My point is many variables can happen in one's life. There are a lot of folks who didn't have a mother/father or both for most if not all of their life. It does not determine one's own destiny.

By the time I got married when I was 40, it was too late for me to have kids. We could not afford the expensive procedures and adoption was out of the question. Since I was over 40, adoption agencies in the USA turn potential parents away! We didn't have the 10's of thousands of dollars to adopt a child overseas.

Kudos to the woman who made her dream possible. I can only live vicariously through her. Isn't it nice when anyone reaches their dreams Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@millieshops   I'm sure the doctor received a huge fee for making this happen.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I think live and let live ,it is a great big world, and no one elses business, but theirs

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@millieshops   I'm sure the doctor received a huge fee for making this happen.

And lots of publicity...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

People fetishize babies and it's disturbing for so many reasons.

Honored Contributor

I'm all for dreams coming true... Then again, most folks dreams get somehow adjusted as they get older to take in the realities of their age and situation... Each to their own but better her than me... I'm not nearly as old as she is but darned if I'd want to be birthing and raising babies, even at my age, regardless of how extended my support network might be... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I figure they have extended family.  Any siblings Mom, 73, and Dad, 80, have are most likely older too.  That leaves nieces and nephews to care for the twins should something happen.

In the mid-60's a classmate's Mom got pregnant at 40, a surprise.  When the child was 9 his Dad died of a massive heart attack.  When he was 13 Mom died of cancer.  He went to live with a sister several hours from his home. Of course, he had to change schools, make new friends.  His sister had kids of her own. Even though he was loved and well taken care of,  he has had issues his whole life.