Honored Contributor

Re: 7:30 PM fireworks have already started

[ Edited ]

@MissMissyP wrote:

Shouldn't you be happy people are celebrating and happy about a New Year to be alive and well rather then Ranting? Smiley Happy

@MissMissyP 

Really???? Why should folks condone something like this---  It's illegal.....fireworks cause pets severe anxiety attacks ..... it's a possible fire hazard (especially with extremely dry drought conditions).....there's other LEGAL ways to celebrate "being alive and well" and bring in the New Year....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

Our idiot neighbors started around 7.  He had at least 12 to 15 guys over and it went on till way past 12.  We ended up calling the police twice.on them  They were so out of control this year that they were lighting them and then tossing them up in the air. Sometimes they all ran in the house at times because they came straight down when they threw them.  Later they were out there lighting roman candles and shooting them at each other. The final straw was they built a fire in the yard and started throwing the fireworks in the fire.   

We live in a subdivision and instead of taking it to the front yard they do it on their deck. Our backyard is right behind his so we can see everything from our windows. They are also in there 20 and we are heading towards are 60's.

The police eventually showed up.  We knew this because they then kept coming to the fence line and proceeded to blow these huge horns they all had. So glad it's over for a year. Maybe next year we will go to a hotel and spend the night somewhere else.

Trusted Contributor

They started around 7:30 and went on until at least 1pm.  Son-inlaw swears he heard a gun shot too.  Geez.

Honored Contributor

@MissMissyP wrote:

Shouldn't you be happy people are celebrating and happy about a New Year to be alive and well rather then Ranting? Smiley Happy

There are plenty of ways to celebrate that don't disturb other people and terrify wildlife and pets... 

Fortunately, the fireworks in my neighborhood were minimal and didn't last long...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I hunkered down with my dog last night, with the TV surround sound rather loud, trying to drown out fireworks.  He stayed next to me, disturbed, but somewhat content with me within reach.  

I was getting so sleepy, but couldn't take him outside for his last potty break due to the noise until 01:45.  I thought, 'finally.'  All was quiet.  

I coaxed him out and he was just ready to relieve himself, when a random bomb sounding firework was set off.  All four of his feet shot off the ground and he headed for the backdoor.  

We're halfway into NY day here, and I still have not been able to get him to go back outside.  

I don't mind fireworks (some were beautiful), except for potential accidents, or property damage, but I sure do mind them for the wildlife and our pets.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a wonderful time watching the fireworks in my area, and the noise reminded me that it is a very very Happy New Year, where every day is a new day!  I just am glad to feel alive, after cancer 4 years ago, and staring down the statistic that I won't make it more than 5 years from diagnosis, it's wonderful to hear noise, and see people having fun.  I feel bad that some pets don't tolerate noise, but we all can do things to ease their anxiety.  In my community, most pets are accustomed to noise, being outside in the world instead of house pets.  Just my opinion

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Fireworks are illegal here in my California city; celebratory shooting in the air is a felony in the state.

Just stupid and dangerous.

Ones that shoot into the sky are illegal here but the ones that stay close to the ground are legal, to but it doesn't stop them. Idiots don't care about anyone but themselves.

@Meowingkitty, a distinction without a difference. I think that shooting off guns just for the heck of it, no matter where it's directed, is inane.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

We have a Veteran with PTSD who had his leg blown off from an IED down the street from us.

He was laying in the street crying and screaming when they started here...

Took Police in 3 cruisers to get him under control and to the Hospital...

Most people are respectful and take their celebrating elsewhere...

But you still have those whose need to have a good time and welcome in the New Year are more important...

Honored Contributor

The fireworks we heard at 9 p.m. were the only ones we heard, so hopefully trashy trailer neighbors realized it was too windy, or too dry.   So we actually had a quiet night outside of the howling wind.   

I do not think people are considerate of their neighbors when it comes to fireworks.   The popping, booming sounds are particularly upsetting to pets, to the elderly, and anyone with PTSD.   Celebrating should not affect the mental and physical well being of your neighbors.   

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma: So sad about your neighbor.My DH retired military with PTSD. We had the tv on loud and thick shades pulled down in front of blinds. He did somewhat better than  in years past when he would pull me down with him on the floor. He didn't drop to the floor and not walking all around the house.We had firecrackers all around us. Everything started the night before and ended this morning around 2 am. People have the right to celebrate but need to be considerate of neighbors. Southern Bee