Respected Contributor

Re: 6th baby dies while using this product

I didn't read where they put the baby in overnight to sleep. Could have just put it in there while the mom took a shower or something. It doesn't take long to suffocate.

Trusted Contributor

Why wasn't this product pulled after one death? That's so sad.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Doesn't matter if it was overnight or during a shower. The baby was left unattended. An 8-month-old is much too old to be left in a device like that. It doesn't even have shoulder straps.

I'm not necessarily blaming the parents. I think a lot of people assume things on the market have been tested and are safe. I have always thought that product looked dangerous.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I'm blaming the parents 100%. Many children die drowning in a swimming pool...should we prohibit backyard swimming pools? Many children die from animal bites...should we euthanize every animal out there? My point....just because these 6 idiot parents are....idiots...doesn't mean it's not a good product. Just think about how I grew up in the 60s-70s...""safety"" anything was unheard. Knee jerk mentality.

Respected Contributor

I don't blame the parents. You have to put a baby down sometimes.

The product looks safe. Now that it has been found not to be the best thing is to take it off the market.

Honored Contributor

It's my understanding that the company is now out of business. My issue is that the product was recalled and the company refused to pull it from shelves.

Other articles about the product state that there have been 92 incident reports involving this product and out of those reports, 6 resulted in death.

It wasn't only a matter of the baby rolling out of the recliner and getting stuck between the recliner and the bumper, some babies suffocated right in the recliner itself.

Respected Contributor

How was this marketed? I can't find any info on it because it's been pulled. Did they say it was to be used in cribs? It looks like something that should be used on the floor for short naps under supervision.

That name "Nap Nanny" is disturbing, implying this thing will watch your baby while he/she sleeps.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

It looks so comfortable. Perhaps they could make one for adults?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

=(

Esteemed Contributor

Poor little things. How awful.

In addition to not using it in a crib, the article also sounded like some parents were using it for babies who were really too big or too old for it.

It really does look pretty harmless. Smiley Sad